Is it hereditary?

MummyKP

Reaction score
Just wandering if you've found labour/birth to be hereditary in your experiences? My mum was two weeks over with my brother and I and needed to be induced with both. She needed two inductions with my brother, then had a horrendous birth with forceps. With me she was induced, had me within 6 hours with no gas and air or anything, very naturally. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll follow her with a 2 week wait followed by induction or not, so your opinions and experiences will be much appreciated either way!

In my case it hasn't been hereditary. My mum went naturally with both my sister and myself. She was in labour 36 hours with my sister and was a forceps delivery (my sister was 11 and a half pounds though!) and I was completely natural and born within 16 minutes of my mum arriving at the hospital. I was 8 and a half pounds.

I was induced with my DD and was in labour for 3 days before she was finally delivered by forceps because she was lying in an awkward position.

My sister was completely different again with her two. She went ten days over (but went into labour naturally) with her first and ended up having a csection and her second was a planned section.

The only thing we've all had in common is having big babies. The smallest baby out them all was 8lb5oz (my little one) and the biggest being my sister at 11 and a half pounds x

Not at all for me, my mum had her babies early mostly 2 weeks early but my brother was 6 weeks early, I had mine one on his due date and the other two a week overdue, my mum had little babies and I had fair sized ones, so I don't think it's hereditary at all Hun x

My mother went to 42 weeks and had to be induced with all of us. I was induced at 41 weeks for medical reasons, otherwise I know I would have went longer. My mother also had easy pregnancies and so far it's looking like I will have the same luck. Both of us had girls first that were delivered vaginally and weighed in the 6 lb range.

So for me it seems to be! :)

Some women think so, I'm not sure but my mom did have hers early and so far I've followed suit with me first 2 ;)

No. My mum laboured only 8hrs with my brother (forceps on epidural) and had an emergency C section with me (but was progressing in a similar way so would have been about another 8hrs but for the suspected placenta Previa being confirmed). I was however in labour for 94 hrs with a very slow progression, but no complications so a natural vaginal birth in the end.

My mum was right on time with her children both being born on due dates... i was induced 2 weeks over with my DD.. I had a terrible labour..my sister went 9 days over with my nephew but had a great labour. I wouldn't say there are any genetics in labour at all.

It wasn't for me, I can't understand why it would be either.

Nope.
My mum had 4 babies, all born pretty much on their due date and she was only in labour for 3-9 hours. All vaginal births.

I was 8 days over, was in labour for 42 hours and had to have a ceserean.

And then she wondered why I was getting annoyed at her while I was in labour and she was sat there telling me how quick and easy her labours were 😡

My mum had me and my 2 sisters between 2-4 weeks early and very quick labours with us all, including having my sister at home whilst waiting for the ambulance. I was induced with DD.

My MIL had both my SIL and DH 4 weeks early, my SIL ended up going over with her DD, which resulted in an emergency c section.

I'm hoping it is. My mom's first baby was breech and had to be delivered via c-section but my brother and I were both v-bacs, quick deliveries right around her due date :thumbup:

Thanks everyone for your replies. It seems there's a mixture but I'm going to keep hoping it isn't hereditary and we won't go the full two weeks past our due date and need induction!

Only thing similar between my Mum & I was that we both suffered back labour (despite not having back to back babies) and vaginal births

Both of my sisters had to have c sections and didn't have back labour :nope:

We all had healthy sized babies tho in the 8lb range biggest being my sister with her son who was nearly 10lbs :shrug:

Me and my mum had pretty much identical first labours. Very long, failed to get going properly, lots of sickness, after post date inductions. My sisters was the opposite 5&1/2 and natural, only 4 days overdue. My mum had good sized babies. Me and my sister both had sga (small for gestational age).

My mom had to stop work 3 months before she had both of us, she couldn't perform at work and was so uncomfortable she asked the doctor for early inductions with both of us. Me at 38 weeks and my sis at 39. BUT saying that she gained more than 50 lbs with each pregnancy, I've gained 23. I've been working and will continue working till due date and had no problems, no swelling, no sickness, I'm sleeping through the nights (except for a pee break every morning at 5:30), no heartburn, nothing except for GD which has been completely managed by eating high protein & fat/low sugar & carb diet-it's been easy since carby sugary foods give me a horrid rotty mouth feeling. I think each person and pregnancy is different. I've also worked out till well after 7 months, mom has never stepped foot in a gym or done pilates & kick boxing in her life. She kept telling me ' oh you wait till you're in your third tri, then you'll pack the weight on just you see,' as if I HAVE to gain heaps of weight because she did. I think she was secretly hoping I would. I think the amount that I exercise has protected me from SPD, I have extreme flexibility & loose joints due to arthritis (stage 4-I'm due for knee replacements) which puts me at high risk for this (SPD is caused from loose joints. But with the working out & I'm still in the gym, I think it's helped to have strong muscle tone keeping things together. She had arthritis too (only stage 2) and was effected massively with pain in the pelvis & back. But I think everyone eats, moves, and has different bodies just as every pregnancy & birth is different (thinking especially ms and labour length and tearing here).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->