• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is it normal that my 3 wk old niece only drinks an ounce of formula at a time?

jordysgirl20

Reaction score
She will be 4wks on Jan 6 and only drinks an ounce every like 3 hours and it usually takes an whole hour to just to drink that ounce as well. I know she should be going through more diapers too but I only see her go through like 4 a day. Anyone else experiencing this? She weighed 6lbs, 14 oz when she was born....I have never seen a newborn this skinny before. At first I thought maybe its because her mother is naturally really thin but I just think something is wrong now...

I would say that is not enough and i would personally be worried! is she in any discomfort while feeding? or do you think she needs the next teat size up?x

My baby will be 4 weeks old this Friday and she was 7lb 3oz at birth. She lost weight as per normal, and now weighs above her birth weight. She guzzles 3-4oz every 3 hours on average. Sometimes she can only wait 2 hours for a feed, sometimes its 5. Has the midwife/heAlth visitor not been to visit? They usually ask about feeding and weigh baby? I'd be worried.

At four weeks mine had 3oz every 2 to four hours and did at least ten wet nappies a day. I really think your niece should see a gp or health Visiter.

Personally I'd get her seen too, it doesn't sound like enough to me.

Both my babies had big weight loss and slow weight gain during their first few weeks. DS took 2-4 oz every 3-4hours and was put to the breast as well and was only back up to birth weight at 4 weeks.

I very much doubt 1 oz every 3 hours is enough to be gaining weight.

I would get her seen asap. When my daughter was really poorly she cut down to 1oz every 4 hours and she lost weight rapidly.

My dd drank 2 oz for a long time and she is 5.5 months old now. But she also ate every 2 hours. I would say according to her diapers if nothing else that she is not eating enough.

That's definatly not enough formula or enough wet diapers. She needs to see a dr. right away. It's worries me that you said she's the skinniest baby you've ever see also :( I know this was a few days ago, are you still here? Did she get checked out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->