is it normal..

nada87

Reaction score
for a 24 weeker to still be considered critical 4 weeks after birth? my dh's cousin had her baby at 24 weeks last month and when i asked about the baby at the family easter dinner all her uncle said was that he was still critical ( she wasnt there as she was sick) and that he hasn't put on alot of wieght. nobody really would talk about him (the baby) so i didn't want to keep asking questions.
thanks

Normal is a tricky word in relation to premature babies. One of the 24 weekers on our unit was considered a feeder grower after just 2 weeks whereas a full termer was still critical after 7 weeks.

I would imagine that a 24 weeker would be quite likley to still be critical after 4 weeks.

There was a 24 weeker in the unit who was born at the same time as Abby, When we took her home after 6 weeks he would definitely still have been considered critical. He was in a side room on his own and had 24 hour nursing supervision. He had a variety of medical issues including brain bleeding and PDA. He was still being ventilated at that point.

We later found out he came home in the September (6 months later) and apart from contracting meningitis which led to him being back in hospital on and off until christmas, he is thriving. His PDA is healing itself.

As has been said, I'd have thought most 24 weekers remain "critical" for a good amount of time.

Can easily still be critical after 4wks. Evie was a 24 weeker, and still ventilated at 6wks, so theoretically critical - tho she had no other issues. Whilst they're still in intensive care, there is a potential for complications, so they are deemed critical.

I think unless you've encountered such a preemie it's difficult to understand how serious it is. 24wks means nothing unless you've seen it first hand. Babies born at 28 wks would come into the unit and look positively vibrant and healthy compared to Evie - I used to stare with envy. Of course to the mum of a 28 weeker, it is still a horrible, worrying nightmare - it's all relative to your own experience really.

Hope baby gets well x

thanks everyone. i just wasn't sure if him being in critical meant he was doing worse then expected.

It also depends on the unit. In the first hospital I was at which was a level 3 unit my daughter was downgraded from intensive care to nursery, however when I was transfereed to a level 2 unit nearer home, the upgraded her to intensive care as it was their policy because of her gestation age even though she was just growing and feeding at that point. I think a 24 weeker would be critical until they reach a certain gestation, are feeding well and putting on weight.
It is very hard for your cousins family, some people want to talk about it all the time, others don't want to...I guess you have to follow their lead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->