Is it rude to nurse at the table?

October2013

Mommy to a baby girl
Reaction score
How do you ladies feel about nursing your babies at the table while at a restaurant? I did this a few months ago while eating lunch with my OH and parents. I was covered, no one said anything about it, and the thought of it being rude never even occurred to me, but now I'm wondering, is it rude?

Ultimately I don't care where I'm at or what I'm doing, if my baby needs to nurse and she can't wait until we have privacy, I'll nurse her wherever I'm at. I'm just curious what you girls think about it.

I nurse pretty much anywhere... Well I've not found anywhere yet I'm uncomfortable with. Same goes for restaurants, I've nursed at the table. I use two tops so you can't see anything anyway. Nobody has ever commented.

I don't think it's rude, we're all eating so why shouldn't baby?

I don't see how its EVER rude to nurse a baby. Definitely not at a table when everyone else is eating, baby gotta to eat too.

Agreed with both PPs, in no way is it rude. Our babies need and deserve to eat just like any other baby/person. I nursed in bathrooms a lot with DD to avoid looks and possible comments... I promised myself this time would be different. I'll be publicly nursing with confidence!

If people are actively eating, I will ask if they mind out of courtesy. My son used to make a slurping sound when my let down was like Niagara Falls, so I could understand how my husband's friends may have been put off, but I had no intention of delaying the feed or excusing myself from the table if anyone dared say so. Nobody has ever said two words about it to me.

I use a cover for modesty.

If we can eat anywhere why can't they? If a bottle fed baby can sit at a table and make slurping burp and puking sounds at a table why can't a boob fed one?

I agree with everyone here. It is a crime not to feed a baby, right? There are major health code violations to set restaurant tables up in a bathroom, so why should we feed a baby in there???

Not rude at all. I eat at the table so did LO. I remember the first time I did it out with family at the table and mum put a scarf over LO's head. I removed it and put it over my mum's head and said "when you eat your dinner under a blanket so will she" She never did it again.

To be honest, I find watching a weaned toddler eat far more off putting than a baby feeding.

I feed wherever my baby's hungry, so far at 12 weeks other than at my/other people's homes, or actual baby areas with feeding chairs (eg mothercare) the list is; 4 supermarket cafes (he normally naps in the car while I pick hubby up, if we go do the food shop straight away he needs to nurse when we get there), a chair outside the supermarket pharmacy as that one had no cafe, drs waiting room, children's centre while groups are on (others do too so not abnormal), in the car in the tube car park 3 times, in the car on the side of the road 3 times, in a restaurant on 2 occasions, the 2nd time was more than once (growth spurt) a cafe three times, shopping centre bench a few times on 2 different days. My boy tends to be hungry when were out! Lol! He sleeps well at night so feeds a lot during the day, especially in the evening as he's filling up for the night!

So in other words I don't think it's rude at all, the more people that do it the more socially acceptable it will be!
My brother gets funny when I do it even though he can't see anything, I say to him u wouldn't tell a dog not to feed her pups, u wouldn't tell me not to give him a bottle, hes going to be breastfeeding until he's at least 1, and he's just the first so get used to it!!!!
I think it helps me as my husband, mother, in laws are all very pro breast feeding.

Becki x

It shouldn't be rude to nurse a baby at the table at all. It wouldn't be rude for anyone else to sit at the table eating, or for a baby to be having a bottle or baby food, so it shouldn't be seen as rude to nurse at all. I nursed in front of a table of around 20 people 1.5 years ago and I'm sure some people thought I was rude, but my baby needed feeding just as much as they did, so I fed her :thumbup:

Not rude at all, when Alice was younger I'd nurse anywhere... Now she's a wriggly 10 month old I think she would kick everything off a dinner table - then I think that's classed as rude hehe!

No never, I've nursed at the table at close friends and relatives, I think that the in laws were a little shocked but no way would I remove myself and nurse when I'm eating, or for any reason.
Xx

I've not been to a restaurant w baby yet but I do plan to nurse where ever and whenever needed. If I'm at a mall id go to the nearest mother's room (there's one in every corner here).

When I was still pregnant I went to a cafe with my mom and a lady with a tiny baby came in. She started nursing with a cover and no one even batted an eyelash. It made me happy and encouraged me.

Once my baby doesn't feed for long durations I think I'll be brave enough to go out to eat. It's not a big deal to feed for longer than everyone else's meal when we are with family or friends at their house or our house. But I can see it being a bit difficult at a restaurant!

Otherwise, no, it isn't rude at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->