Is it safe to breastfeed after getting surgery?

Itsychik

Reaction score
So I was informed yesterday that I may need surgery to get my gallbladder removed. I'm waiting on the confirmation, but I've been trying to search for information as to how being under general anesthesia can affect breast feeding and how long afterwards I would have to wait to bf again and am getting conflicting information.

Does anyone have any experience with this? My DD is currently ebf (and refusing to drink out of bottles!) so I'm a little concerned...

I don't have any experience of this but couldn't you ask your consultant?

Thanks for your response :flower:

Yes of course I can (and will ask) but my follow up appt isn't until next week and I'm going crazy trying to look up information in the meantime. I thought it would help if I got some answers before my appointment and also give me some info to ask more informed questions when I discuss with my doctor.

Thanks for your response :flower:

Yes of course I can (and will ask) but my follow up appt isn't until next week and I'm going crazy trying to look up information in the meantime. I thought it would help if I got some answers before my appointment and also give me some info to ask more informed questions when I discuss with my doctor.

Sorry didn't mean to sound abrupt.
https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/breast...eeding-after-general-anaesthesia/AllOnOnePage
Here is a discussion I found on the subject. Cant find any solid info though from the medical profession. Hope it helps. :shrug:

Hope this helps a little.
https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/meds/anesthetics/

I spoke to my surgeon about breastfeeding and he said its fine...I'd just check the pain meds after are ok for breastfeeding and he said I've just read the kellymom article and ill be breastfeeding after my wisdom teeth surgery... All the best for your gall bladder surgery

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->