Is it safe to have two mattresses in the cot?

Indi Ocean

Reaction score
I'm using an older style cot and the mattress is really low, which makes it quite an awkward level to bend down to. I was wondering if I could use two mattresses, which would then raise the level a little?

They both fit snugly in the cot, with enough bar height making it secure for a newborn. It does seem safe to me but with all the regulations and being a ftm, thought it best to get some opinions! Thanks in advance...xo

Is it not a drop side cot? where you drop it down put baby in and then lift it up? Is it also not a cot with 2 levels? Most cots have an upper level for when they're a newborn and then you drop it to the bottom level when they can sit up or pull to a stand

Regardless the recommendations are all here on this website

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/975196

But it basically says if it's on the lowest setting you need a minimum of 60cm from top of mattress to lowest side of the cot, unless the side is dropped down (open position) then you need a minimum of 25cm. Then there's more measurements for when the cot is in the higher setting (40cm and 25cm)

Even my cot is incredibly old, it belonged to my mum who used it with ny siblings and it has these settings. Double check where the screws go in (there the base meets the legs) and travel up the legs to see if you come into contact with more holes where the base might sit much much higher

As for 2 mattresses even if the measurements are okay. if they're an identical size i can't see it being much of an issue. Especially if you can use fitted sheets or something to hold them securely together

This cot is using it in the upper setting
https://www.babydecorations.net/wp-content/uploads/nearly-new-birch-ikea-gulliver-cot--toddler-bed--a-0.jpg

Note it has no drop down side. Drop down sides are illegal in a lot of other countries (Not Australia)

Drop side cots are now banned in a lot of countries due to infant entrapment .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->