Is loose stool and nappy rash allergy/intolerance?

Jayneypops

Mum to 2 Fairy Princesses
Reaction score
Hi,

Our LO has been having some solids at breakfast and teatime for a few weeks. Her stools are often, although not always, looser than before, and she sometimes has a bit of nappy rash too.

My parents and in laws say its just her body getting used to the solids and that it will improve, but I'm wondering if its a sign she's got a bit of an allergy or intolerance to certain foods?

What sort of things has she been having? How often is she having new foods? Any rashes?

My first son had an intolerance to wheat which he luckily grew out of. He suffered with very loose and mucusy stools any time he ate anything containing wheat including pasta, bread etc.
Keep an eye on what you are giving her and try to see if there is anything particular that makes her poo more.
It may be her body just adjusting x

What sort of things has she been having? How often is she having new foods? Any rashes?

I've just given her baby rice mixed with her formula milk about an hour after her 1st bottle (so for breakfast) and them Ive pureed 1 type of veg for around 1 hour after her afternoon bottle, (so tea). I have been giving her a new veg each day. 1st day was carrot, then squash etc. Maybe I should just do a week of 1 veg at a time rather than varying them?

Yes I would try that instead as it will be easier to find the culprit. I think the advice is to wait 3-5 days between foods to look out for an allergy so see how she gets on like that?

If she has no other signs of something being off (like vomiting, rash or swelling - my daughter had what we thought was an allergic reaction, which she's now outgrown, but her face broke out into a rash and got all red and swollen, plus projectile vomiting), it's more than likely just her body adjusting. It could be a sign she's not ready if it's causing her real discomfort and there's no rush, so you could just back off and try again in a few more weeks when she might be more ready. The other possibility is that she could be coming up to teething. Really loose, smelly poos and nappy rash are our main sign of teething and many babies do get their first teeth around 6 months, so would make sense in terms of her age.

Thanks. Well she's always biting her fingers, pulling her ears, and wakes in the night when she slept through before so I guess teeth may be our problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->