Is my baby colicky? Anyone tried gripe water?

Aliza2010

Reaction score
Ok so I posted earlier about my baby having constipation and perhaps trying him on Lactulose. Since then he has pooed himself and HV said to just leave it and see how he goes. Instead she suggested trying gripe water as she says he's colicky. I bought some but it says not to give it to under 1 month olds. He was born at 28.5 weeks and is now 11 weeks old but his due date was only 3 days ago. So 3 days adjusted?
I tried to give him some and he hated it. And now I'm paranoid that I shouldn't have given it.
I'm so confused I don't even know if he is colicky. He takes full feeds but wakes up within 2 hours crying.

Have you tried infacol? That's what I'm using with Indya. We were told not to use gripe water, but I can't remember why. It wasn't a big deal though so please don't worry!

xxx

Hey!! I tried both infacol and gripe water and I have to say the gripe water was amazing!! If I remember correctly directions are 5ml? Is that right? Well I gave my little girl half of what they recommended and that done her fine. You know whats best. I wouldnt worry about him hating it if it does the job.

Is he waking up in pain with wind? IF I were you, I would give it to him for a few feeds and see if he gets any better if he doesnt then take him off it as if its going to work it works very quick. Unfortunatly these things are trial and error.

Good luck!

My pediatrician recommended baby biogaia which is a pro-biotic containing the same bacteria that is in breast-milk. (Although concentrated) It helps improve digestion which will help ease the wind issues. He mentioned as well, and I have read as well separately, that gripe water has been shown to have little or no effect on wind and is more of a placebo for worried parents. The probiotics greatly improved Keira's wind and we were giving it to her prior to her being term even. After 2 weeks of use her wind issues completely ceased.

Also... I think a lot of what we thought was wind was just her being over-stimulated. It appears very similar to wind in how they behave. (Screaming, legs up to chest... even turning red and straining) Preemies tend to get over-stimulated very easily so watch for that too.

Constipation & "colic" sounds like it could be a dairy intolerance. Might be worth switching to a dairy free formula to see if it helps. We discovered Abby's colic was a dairy intolerance and she was all better when I cut dairy out of my diet (I was bfing)

I'm not saying its definite, just something to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->