Is my baby eating enough??

allisonmh

Reaction score
My son is 3 and a half months and he's eating about a total of 30oz a day. He sleeps 12 hours straight a night, so when he's awake, he's eating a 5oz bottle every 2 hours or so. Sometimes at like an hour and a half he starts crying like he's hungry though... Should I be giving him more? I thought I read somewhere that they shouldn't have more than 32oz of formula in a day so I don't want to give him too much... What do yall think? How much has everyone else's babies eaten?

Oh, and he also spits up a lot, so sometimes I wonder if he's eating too much? But if I give him a smaller bottle he gets absolutely furious... Or maybe he's hungrier often bc he's spitting up so much?

Does he drain the bottle each time? Maybe give him an oz or two more and see how he takes it. DD also spit up a lot, normally she would go 3 hours between feeds. Sometimes less if she was really hungry or going through a growth spurt

Yes, he always drains the bottle. He's never refused a bottle and he's always finished them. If I give him 6oz he almost immediately spits some up so I know at that point he's full. I just don't know how he's getting hungry again so quickly afterwards...

30oz in 24 hours is fine! As long as he's gaining as he should you have nothing to worry about. My LO eats 30oz per day and he's 2 months. My formula (Enamel A+) came with a guideline:

Birth to 1 month, 6 - 10 bottles per day, 14 - 26 fl oz. per day.
1 month, 6 - 8 bottles per day, 17 - 29 fl oz. per day.
2 months, 5 - 7 bottles per day, 25 - 35 fl oz. per day.
3 months, 5 - 7 bottles per day, 24 - 39 fl oz. per day.
4 months, 5 - 7 bottles per day, 20 - 37 fl oz. per day.
5 months, 5 - 7 bottles per day, 22 - 39 fl oz. per day.

Sorry I didn't read that correctly - I thought it said he wouldn't eat more than that. As I said before my LO is eating 30 oz a day and my dr. said he is gaining well but if LO wanted I could offer him a bit more. Maybe ask your paediatrician.

Oh wow, see a lot of things say not to feed them more than 32oz of formula a day... But clearly your formula is different so I wonder about the one he's on(enfamil newborn.) I'll have to find out. He'd definitely eat more if I gave it to him, I just didn't want to overfeed him, and since he already spits up so much I didn't want to make that worse by giving him more either. He has his 4 month appt in 2 weeks, so I'll ask about it then.

Oh wow, see a lot of things say not to feed them more than 32oz of formula a day... But clearly your formula is different so I wonder about the one he's on(enfamil newborn.) I'll have to find out. He'd definitely eat more if I gave it to him, I just didn't want to overfeed him, and since he already spits up so much I didn't want to make that worse by giving him more either. He has his 4 month appt in 2 weeks, so I'll ask about it then.

My autocorrect screwed up before - my little one is also on Enfamil A+. I had sent out for the free samples and coupons and they gave me a booklet about the product - that's where I got the above information.

I actually upped my little guy to a 7oz bottle this morning because he slept through is night feed and only woke up at 6am. He wouldn't take more than 5.5oz (which has never happened - he always finishes a 6oz bottle). I guess they really will tell us how much they need to eat. :)

Ooh ok! Lol! So I guess he's eating in between the amount he should... Good to know I can still feed him more if need be though.
6oz at 2 months?? You got a hungry one there!! Does he spit any of it up? I know Owen would eat a whole 6 or 7oz bottle but I know he'd probably spit up a lot. : /

Your LO is adorable by the way, we have the same seat and he loves it!

look up reflux hun. sometimes they want to eat more to soothe reflux pain. xx

Sethsmummy, I have suspected in the past that he has reflux, but he doesn't ever start crying until way after his bottle, and I've been under the impression that the pain happens fairly quickly after they eat, right? I could totally be wrong on that, it's just how I've interpreted the symptoms listed for reflux. I've talked to his dr about it, but he hasn't seemed like it bothered him up until now. He has an appt on the 23rd, but I really don't want to put him on meds if I don't have to. Maybe some rice cereal will help since he's almost 4 months anyway?

reflux pain can hit at any time really especially if its acid reflux. My first who had severe reflux was in pain all the time and would spit up from one bottle right through to the next. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->