Is my baby gaining enough weight?

leigh5tom

Mum to two :)
Reaction score
Hi everyone. My little one will be 9 weeks old tomorrow. He was 9lb 3 when born and we had a really rough first few weeks, with him losing weight and not getting to his birth weight until just over 3 weeks old.

I took him to be weighed today and in the last 3 1/2 weeks he's only gained 11oz :s is this enough? It doesn't seem much at all to me!

He's now 11lb 12 and has just dropped to the 25th centile from the 50th :( xxxx

My son dropped to the 25th centile around that age too. As long as he is gaining and doesn't drop by more than 2 centile groups (ie from 75th straight to 25th) then I understand it isn't a concern.

Neither of mine gained consistently either, they were both jumping around the centiles all the time.

Was the HV happy with his gain? Unless she's worried, I don't think you should be x

I only noticed when I got home that she plotted the graph wrong- she put him at 8 weeks rather than 9, and he stayed on the 50th with this, whereas if she had plotted it at 9 weeks it would be 25th so she doesn't know he's dropped down. He didn't comment on his weight gain much so I guess that's good? Xxx

I think it's on the lower side of weight gain, but it's still a gain, which is good.

Maybe take him to be weighed in a week or two just for peace of mind.

My son was born at 8 lbs 7 oz and at 2 months he was around 11 lbs. At 5 months he was 14.5 lbs. So not a crazy amount of weight gained, but none of the RNs were concerned. That's not to say that I didn't worry though :)

I'm sure they keep a close eye on it would've said something if it was an issue. Why don't you go back again next week and ask the question? It sounds to me like you're doing a great job though :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->