• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is my breastmilk good enough?

M

Mrsb3

Hello ladies, I would really like some advice here. I'm stil feeding my 13 month old myself and it is still her main source of nutrition, is this ok? When is it not ok? She gets offered 3 meals a day and small snacks in between but is fussy with food and most of it gets thrown on the floor or just spat out. My main concern is she doesnt like cows milk or yogurts of any sort even the surgery ones and I'm concernd about her calcium needs- does my breastmilk provide enough calcium? I'm quite confused with it all to be honest as I hear conflicting advise. Also I would like to continue breadtfeeing until she is 2 but again what about her calcium intake after I stop if she hates yogurts snd cows milk? The only thing she will eat with calcium in it is cheese strings!

If you have a decent diet (or take supplements yourself) your milk is an excellent source of everything she needs.

It's great to hear she eats cheese as that is an excellent way of giving her the fat and calcium she needs.

Other food sources are broccoli and some other green veg, fortified cereals, nuts (so nut butters for a baby) and soya.

She doesn't needs cow's milk if she is nursing from you (nature has made it to be the best food for cows!) but as her nursing decreases just try to add milk or cheese etc. to meals. Eg put it in mashed potatoes, pasta sauces etc.

Humans don't actually need any kind of milk past infancy. There are areas of the world where they don't use milk from other species at all. I would still keep working on solids, but some babies take a little longer to get interested. Lots of non-dairy foods are good sources of calcium, and she'll get some from your milk, too. https://nof.org/articles/886

Maybe your lo is not interested in eating solids because they are getting enough through BF. Personally I would cut back on BF in order to encourage eating solids.

I have to disagree with above poster. I would not cut back on bfing. Of your LO is hungry she will eat, she wont starve herself. She may just very well be getting plenty from breastfeeding, and over time her food intake will increase on its own.

I would probably take a vitamin myself and encourage cheese once or twice a day. Maybe make banana strawberry and milk smoothies add a little honey to sweeten it up and see if she will drink it.

My sisters child EBF for 13 months and refused food at all and then BAM that kid could gobble down anything, and was always right on weight and height. As long as your LO is on point with weight and height I wouldn't worry about it.

But this is my personal opinion and I'm not trying to offend anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->