Is she cheating her mum?

CormacksGirl

Mum to Adam & #2 on the w
Reaction score
I need your help ladies:flower:

I'll start by apologising if some bits are a bit sketchy but here goes...

My work colleague ( J) has a daughter (L) who has 4 kids that she can't handle. The kids are aged between 10 yrs and 5 months. Any way her eldest has moved in with his gran (J) as he doesn't like living at home anymore and more often or not J has 1 or of the other children with her as well. I have just heard from another colleague that L has told her mum that because she has 4 children that when her eldest turned 8 that she was no longer entitled to any money for him (she is on benefits) could this be true or do you think she is pocketing the money for herself?

I'm only asking because I'm concerned for J she is struggling at work but can't afford to quit or reduce her hours cause she has her grandson living with her plus L is always asking to borrow money.

Child benefit (£20.30 / week for oldest child) lasts until well into there teens, the Gran should at least be getting this. I would advise her to look into the child benefit as she could make a claim I think to have the £20.30 moved to her if the kid is living with her full time (new registered address).

Child benefits last up until 16 or 19 if child is in full time education and living at home. It goes to the career or parent the child is living with. She's pocketing the money by the sounds of it. :(

Yeah, when I moved in with my grandparents at 14 they just made a new claim for child benefit without contact with my mum. So she just needs to call and set up a claim and it will be automatically transferred to her and the daughter will stop getting it x

yeah when i moved to my grans she called and made a new claim and it was paid to her. Your work colleague may also get child tax credits as well.

the credit is used for the child, not so much the parent. i think they see it as its for the child to eat/be clothed etc. so yeah, it should go to the caregiver of the child not the mother if shes not looking after him. shes probably pocketing it for herself. and as the ladies above said, you should at least get it till your 16 i thought :)

just to add: when i was 17 i left home due to an abusive mother, and she was collecting a child credit. i remember being able to apply for it to be given to me, and not her as it was the government giving money to help ME. i was able to take it away from her under my circumstances. if my little sister had decided to come with me and live with me, i could have taken her portion to for her, as i would have been her caregiver under the governments eyes.

Hi ladies thanks for the replays!!
I didn't think that was right, the sad thing is I don't think J will do anything even if I told her, her daughter and grandkids are her life. I'm just so frustrated that her daughter just takes the piss, she's always round at her mums with her other 3 kids getting fed and hoping the middle 2 kids will ask to stay over just so she won't have to deal with them. J keeps on saying she has the kids to give L a break WTF she doesn't work her eldest 2 kids were at school all day and now her second youngest just started school so she only has her 5 month old all day. What really bugs me more is the fact that if L is ill then J will take the kids, but if J is ill she still has the kids. Sorry for the rant. xx

It's terrible to think that some people treat their parents like doormats but often there is nothing that can be done until the 'doormat' decides the person in question can no longer wipe their feet.

Just to add, as no one else has, the amount of children is irrelevant. My MIL has six children and gets CB for five of them. Hubby is the oldest at 28 but the next one is 16 and still in full time education. She will continue to get it for him until he leaves college or turns 19. Once she stops getting it for him, she will only lose the amount she receives for the youngest as the £20.30 will then go to the next eldest who is 15 month younger. Not sure if it's the same in Scotland but this is the case for Northern Ireland and England so I imagine it is.

Best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->