Is Shea a boy or girl name?

Megamegan

Cautiously Pregnant
Reaction score
So DH likes Shea for a boy. I like it too, but I imagine it as "Shay" for a girl. What do you think? We aren't Irish- our last name is Italian- but that doesn't really matter to us. I'm just wondering in America would Shea sound too feminine? He is a Mets fan so wants to use Shea from Shea Stadium.

I honestly feel like both spellings (Shea/Shay) can be unisex. Shea doesn't sound feminine to me. It never has.

I think it'd be a really neat, unique name with some cool history behind it :)

I also know a Mets fan who named her son Shea. I love it! :thumbup:

I think it's def a unisex name! I just checked, though, in the last 100 yrs it has never even made the top 1000 as a girl's name. But it has for boys. In 2006 it ranked 982 (so high!) for baby boys born in the US. It hasn't made the top 1000 since then.

It's a nice "heard of" name without being popular!

Shea to me is a boys name only cus I know two lo's called she's spelt shai xx

Thanks for your responses ladies! I do like the name and I think it's unique. Shea Michael would probably be the first and middle names, Michael after our fathers.

As it turns out, we are now talking about naming our baby Shea whether it's a boy or a girl! Lol. Funny how things work out.

I love it and would have definitely called my son Shay if it had sounded right with our last name :thumbup:

I love it and would have definitely called my son Shay if it had sounded right with our last name :thumbup:

I can't wait til we know what we are having :) I told DH, we should pick out 2 names when we find out the gender, so that we can decide when the baby comes out which one he/she looks more like.

I've met two, both female. One spelled Shay, the other spelled Shae. :flower:

I love it, i would name either a boy or girl shae but I prefer for a girl

Here in Ireland it's a boy's name, but I think it sounds nice for a girl too.

I like it but prefer the spelling Shay and would say its a boys name. x

I like the spelling Shay, but we are choosing Shea since the whole point is to relate it to Shea Stadium, him and his dad being huge Mets fans.

I live in Ireland and have only heard it as a boys name. That said the baby in rules of engagement was a girl called shay.

My family are also huge Mets fans...my sister always said if she had a girl she would name her Shea

That's cool Geralyn :) I'm happy with it being a boy or a girl name, either way it will work. Since I'm not Irish I won't feel too guilty about not using it the traditional Irish way. Haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->