Is the evening cluster feeding supposed to be like this?

M

Mrsb3

My lo feeds from about 6pm til 11pm but she constantly struggles the whole time, cries and pulls off, tugging at my nipples and screams when I put boob away and just walk around with her- so u put her back on and within seconds she is struggling! I wind get and she gets up her wind but I'm starting to think maybe it's colic? Or reflux? Or maybe she has a hard time getting the hind milk or is have very little milk left and she hates having to work for it?? She is 6 week old today but this has always gone on from about 2-3 week old.

Does she draw her legs up alot like it's gas? Mine does...and acts like that on the boob as well. She's 5 weeks and 5 days. Was told colic yesterday.

My DD2 does this at times, I do think it may be some sort of digestive trouble like wind or colic. When she starts fussing like that I take her off and wind her and then pop her dummy in and put her in the stretchy wrap (newborn hold) or hold her with her tummy against me almost upright nice and tight and walk around and she will fall asleep in a few mins!

I can feel movements in her tummy when I do this so I think it helps the gas move through, it is almost like a tummy massage I guess (I get one at the same time and it frees up my wind too nice :haha:)

This sounds like completely normal behavior for that age. My Lactation Consultant said fussing at the breast is how the baby tells your pituitary gland to make more milk. That's how they build your supply. It's not fun, but just get through it- it will be over soon :)

Ooh yes just want to say I agree cluster feeding ¡s normal (just not the pain/discomfort) :thumbup:

There is also some great info here...

https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/fussy-while-nursing/

https://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/fussy-evening/

Thank you everyone, I think it's a it of both- the fussing and cluster feeding is her building my supply but it's also giving her a bit of gas because the constant sucking. It starts at 6pm ish when she wakes from her nap and does not end until 11pm then she sleeps through the night with 1 or 2 quick dream feedings. It's tiring because because I can't get anything done on an evening and my hubby feels a bit left out she screams when I give her to him! But at least she sleeps at night so could be worse :)

When mine does this it's when she's overtired. As your baby is doing it all evening which is the classic time for overtiredness I'd explore this as a possibility x

When mine does this it's when she's overtired. As your baby is doing it all evening which is the classic time for overtiredness I'd explore this as a possibility x

This. I was gonna suggest the same thing. DS2 always acted like he wanted boob when he was tired but then would squirm and cry and spit it out and latch on again over and over. For hours every night. He just couldn't settle and got more and more miserable. It took me a few weeks to figure it out but after that would just hold him and walk when he was tired as he would be much happier and go to sleep.

Yes it could be this! She doesn't get to sleep much through the day because breastfeeding and winding takes up all of my time and as soon as she drops off I have to put her straight down so I can sort out her 13 month old brother who in my opinion is still a baby himself and needs me just as much.... She then wakes up 10 mins later :-( today though my son has been with his grandma and I was able to pay more attention to my lo so I rocked her for 20 mins after her feed and winding and she stayed asleep for a good hour ! Wish I could do this every time so she can sleep - I'm on the process of getting a sling/wrap though so that might help

Look up 'witching hour'. All three of my kids had their witching hours, including my 8 week old who has finally started to calm down about it!

Do you swaddle? My dd was like this but once I started swaddling her she slept much better... I only bf for 5 weeks though so I may not be of much use :-/ xx

My DD2 does this at times, I do think it may be some sort of digestive trouble like wind or colic. When she starts fussing like that I take her off and wind her and then pop her dummy in and put her in the stretchy wrap (newborn hold) or hold her with her tummy against me almost upright nice and tight and walk around and she will fall asleep in a few mins!

I can feel movements in her tummy when I do this so I think it helps the gas move through, it is almost like a tummy massage I guess (I get one at the same time and it frees up my wind too nice :haha:)

I cannot stress how fail proof this technique was for us. You LO may be overtired and this swaddled them and helps with digestion. IF LO is truly hungry she'll keep crying.

Stretchy wraps be found cheaply second hand or made with jersey knit fabric....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->