Is there any real difference in boy versus girl underwear?

SarahBear

Reaction score
So as far as I can tell boy underwear is thicker, but does it really make a difference at this age whether a kid wears boy or girl's underwear? I had been thinking that boy underwear probably allows for a bit more room up front, but I'm not so sure that's true. Leo really likes a lot of the "girl" choices of underwear and I ended up making him get a pack of "boy" underwear. After looking closer at the boy stuff, I'm not sure it's cut any different. I'm thinking about just getting him some Frozen underwear.

For a boy, I don't think it would make much difference. The only difference for girls is they tend to be a bit more moist down there (having a vagina and all, even when there isn't much discharge at this age) so I probably wouldn't buy boy underwear for a girl, just because I think they would hold moisture more and not be as wicking. But I think probably either way if it doesn't cause any issues (and especially for a boy, I don't think it would), why not? You might just need to buy a slightly larger size though.

'Boys' tend to be thicker and have thicker elastics whereas 'girls' are thinner and have thinner elastics. My daughter is more comfortable in 'boys' ones as the thicker elastics don't dig in like the thin ones do.

I do think the cut is different - definitely some more space in the front in boy underwear to hold everything, but it probably wouldn't matter too much if he does want to wear the ones sold for girls. I will say, though, that in the case of a girl wearing boys ones, I still remember wetting my pants at my caregiver's house as a four year old and the only underwear available for me to change into were her son's of the same age. They were SO uncomfortable with that extra "pouch" at the front :|

The boys ones have nice, thick elastic bands that are easy to grip and don't roll.

The girls have "dainty" little bands that do not look or feel as comfortable.

DD wears DS's old ones, and one pack of girl ones, she likes the girl ones because they are paw patrol but both work.

I do think the cut is different - definitely some more space in the front in boy underwear to hold everything, but it probably wouldn't matter too much if he does want to wear the ones sold for girls. I will say, though, that in the case of a girl wearing boys ones, I still remember wetting my pants at my caregiver's house as a four year old and the only underwear available for me to change into were her son's of the same age. They were SO uncomfortable with that extra "pouch" at the front :|

At least in the 2/3T size, there is no "pouch", there is a functional fly but it is so tiny it is impossible to use. The 4T size may be a bit bigger, but it's pretty "flat" in the front.

I assume when you move from toddler undies (the 2/3T and 4T sizes) to boys 4/5 xs+ they probably start making room.

Girls underwear is a bit lower/slimmer cut, mostly to accomodate the underpants fitting nice under girls slimmer bottoms. I think it would be more of a problem the other way around, putting boys under pants under girl's clothes. Boys underwear would stick out horribly from the top of my DD's little shorts. If your son wants frozen underpants, nobody will notice on a two year old.

The boys ones have nice, thick elastic bands that are easy to grip and don't roll.

The girls have "dainty" little bands that do not look or feel as comfortable.

DD wears DS's old ones, and one pack of girl ones, she likes the girl ones because they are paw patrol but both work.

Agree with this! I tried some on my dd the other day and she was pulling st them, I know she's not used to it but the elastic was thin! Most of the girls pants I've seen are higher rise too

Boys underwear is thicker and more roomy at the front. Not sure if girls underwear might cause rubbing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->