Is there anything wrong with a bit of light bleaching?

twiggy56

Mummy expecting #2
Reaction score
Just on the inserts?

My V3 MF inserts are still stinky after a good strip wash....dont know what it is about the V3 inserts but smells just cling to them?!

So im going to bleach them, I know guidelines say no but I was thinking really diluted bleach? Like a big bucket of water with one small cap full of bleach?

Has anyone bleached theirs?

eta: I still havnt got round to getting some soapnuts, anyone wana send me a cheeky sample of a few shells and il cover postage?

the bg website says you can use bleach, never tried it myself - would probably be best in a bucket though so it doesn't get stuck in your machine and bleach anything else it shouldn't ! :)

you should have said that earlier, would have put some in your parcel for you !

gah! I didnt think, thanks for offering though hun :hugs:....iv just done a nappy wash, hung out all the MF and its just so stinky!

I can get a free sample from the soapnuts website I was going to order from but I just didnt want to give them details if I wasnt going to like them iykwim!

Do you find them good? Do they help clean out the clingy pee smell?

I've bleached my v3 inserts, in a bucket, and will happily do it again. like sugarpuff said, it says on the BG website that it's fine. it really sorted out the smell, not to mention the stains. I rinsed them thoroughly before washing them with the rest of the nappies.

oh and I've just started using soapnuts myself and I'm impressed. have done 2 nappy washes and there's pretty much no smell on them when they come out of the machine (the first time I remembered to put lavender oil in the conditioner drawer but second time I didn't and tbh I noticed no difference). I am more vigilant about sorting out stains before they go in, because they don't get them out, but I expected that.

i love my soapnuts, i gave everything a stripwash before i started using them and they're still all lovely now - everything comes out much softer than they used to too ! i think i might have to use some type of stain removers occasionally in the winter - everything is fine now as i'm drying outside but i expect there might be a bit of light staining when we have no sun whatsoever

ahh, even more convinced to get my bum into gear and get a sample ordered. Iv just started bleaching them in a bucket and rinsing with the shower head in the bath. I'l put them on a rinse in the machine after they're done.

Is any lavender oil ok? Or do I need it to be an essential oil from somewhere?

Have you tried some vinegar on them? My sister washes her cloth diapers with vinegar and baking soda and it removes the smell very well.

hmm never tried vinegar...do you mean white vinegar? Does she put it in the conditioner compartment or in the drum?

Hey Twiggy, dunno if you've already sorted this but I ordered the sample from soapnut people ages ago and haven't got round to ordering a proper load yet and I haven't heard anything from them, if you were worried about them contacting you - they haven't contacted me! That said, I think you'd like them. I did find the washing softer when it came out, but not so much when it was dry iykwim.

yeah i have bleached all of my inserts before....gonna do it again soon as they are getting a bit grey and smelly :)

Be careful with Vinegar it can rot the PUL and the Rubber seals on your washer....once in a while is ok but not too often:)

Soap Nuts Rock :D if people are ordering from inasoapnutshell they do sometimes take a while to get them out to you...think its something to do with supplies or somethign

xoxo

brilliant, thanks for the info ladies!

Im guna get some off ebay as apparently theres tonnes there?

Where do people get their oils from to put in with the nappies? Do they put them in the drum or the conditioner compartment?

Im not a massive fan of lavender, anyone use different?

I did use Lavender but the smell made me gag a bit.... i got mine from Holland and Barratt but it would prob be cheaper from Ebay too.....i put mine in the softener drawer it just gets washed away in the drum :flower:

ahh you're a star...will have a look at what other oils I can find, not keen on the smell of lavender....

is there a particular type of oil I need to avoid? Or can I use essential oils?

what PD said:) i know a girl from CNT uses something from the Body Shop and it smells GORGEOUS!!! i keep meaning to ask her again as i forgot ...actually off to do that now!!

it was green tea room fragrance oil....i would be careful using it..maybe try it on a muslin first..but she out a big spot of it directly on the back of a nappy she sent to me and it is fine :) gonna go get myself some :D:D:D

its not ZoeG is it...all her nappies she sends me smell gorgeous!! :rofl:

Right, im going to get some of the green tea room bodyshop stuff and try a couple drops in the fabric softener drawer :D

Bleached the BG MF inserts btw...lightly with a cap full of bleach in a bucket of water, soak, rinse like crazy and now they're fine! :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->