is this a lip tie?

wishuwerehere

dh, me and 2dds
Reaction score
I've found bf harder this time. I've had a lot of pain in my nipples and have been determined to find a cause. I've had my latch checked and several people have said it looks good and she is gaining weight and pooing and weeing so that can't be it, it's not thrush or mastitis. I've been obsessively stalking the internet for possivle causes, and i'd heard of tounge tie but pretty sure that isn't it. Then i stumbled across something about lip ties and thought the pics looked like my dd. She gets very fussy at the breast towards the end of the feed, pulls on and off, and slips often so she is just sucking the nipple (which i do correct). What do you think? I may just be grasping at straws...

https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/Dark_side_ofthe_moon/20140320_084808_zpssv9vxmrh.jpg

Ok been doing some more reading and apparently they don't do anything about them in the uk? If this is the problem causing me pain do i just have to put up with it or is it possible to have it done privately?

I think if you went.to gp/hv and.they confirmed it. If they are gaining etc then they leave it. I think most people get it done privately.
Im the same as you. Im having some nipple pain which im sure is not thrush or mastitis and lo is the same as urs. Slips off during feeds which i too correct. She also gained exceeded birth weight by day 10. And lots of wet n.dirty nappies.
I.keep thinkin it may be the latch but i do.everythin i.did with my first whose latch was perfect... Also been watchin more videos on latchin incase im missin somethin..but no its not that...

I think my LO has lip tie too but he's gaining weight so I don't think anything will be done about it

Yeah that is a lip tie. Both my little ones have one. They don't tend to correct in the uk, but you can get it done privately. It meant bfing was never 100 percent comfortable for me, but it wasn't painful after the first month or so x

Yes that's a lip tie. If there's a lip tie there's almost certainly a tongue tie. Whilst lip tie affects latch in some cases the tongue tie is doing the most damage so even if you can tackle part of the problem quickly it may go a long way to reducing pain, securing your supply etc.

My DS had his tongue tie clipped but I'm waiting for a referral for the lip tie. I also heard that the nhs don't do anything about lip tie but I met a woman at breastfeeding support group who'd got her son's done on nhs. My GP referred us and just waiting for an appointment - its not our local hospital (despite being a big hospital) but is fortunately not too far away for us.

There's a Facebook group called Tongue Tie Babies Support Group which you may find useful (be warned though with something like 12,000 members it can clog up your newsfeed!). Also google Dr Kotlow - he's in USA but seems to be a leader in tongue and lip tie research and treatment, he has a website and blog.

Thanks everyone. So how do i find out of she has tongue tie? Ask my health visitor? Or my gp?

I'm looking into it myself, there's a Facebook group called Infant Tongue Tie, UK, Ireland and Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->