Is this cluster feeding? 4 day old newborn

Jayneypops

Mum to 2 Fairy Princesses
Reaction score
Hi,

Im new to BF as FF dd1 due to complications. Our dd2 is 4 days old and apart from her 1st night (where she slept for a 5 hour block) she has been feeding hourly throughout the night, and sleeping for 2 hours in between feeds in the day.

Today however, since 2pm she has been feeding constantly (maybe a few mins in between) and is still feeding now 6pm). I have to keep switching breasts. She is having dirty nappies during or just after most feeds so I know shes getting enough.

Each feed is between 20-50 mins.

Is this normal?

In my experience, it was normal. Hang in there! My newborn ate all of the time. I'd say five hours is too long for a newborn to go without eating.

In my experience, it was normal. Hang in there! My newborn ate all of the time. I'd say five hours is too long for a newborn to go without eating.

Thanks :) I thought it seemed a long time. I fell asleep about 11.30pm following a lengthy labour and didn't wake until she started spitting up mucus around 4.30am. I was surprised the midwives didn't wake me as they commented the following morning "someones had a good sleep"

My ds slept 4-5 hour blocks the first couple of days but night 4 just before my milk properly arrived he cluster fed so much I was a complete state. Dh was about to go to tesco. Luckily the midwife visited in the morning and said my milk would come in later in the day or overnight and he'd be satisfied and would probably get a better night.
And we did.
The worst was over by then xx

Ok update- its now 9pm and dd2 is STILL feeding. 6.5 hours so far!!!
Help!!!!!! Is this definitely normal?

Very very normal. It is soooooooo draining. Good luck Hun xx

Completely! I literally fed ALL night that night. Settle yourself down in bed with snacks and a flask lovey.
And be prepared to be an emotional wreck in the morning.
I cried all day that day I believe.
Have you got someone with you?
Xx

Oh no! :(
Looks like were in for a rough night!

Hopefully not, but if you do, you can get through this!
I went on to bf for 12 months xx

Well its now 8am and LO was pretty good in the night (maybe she did her cluster feeding during the previous night and yesterday?)
She fed pretty much constantly throughout the afternoon until around 11pm then went to sleep. Woke at 1.45am and fed until 2.30am. Went to sleep just before 3am and woke at 6am for a feed. Shes been sleeping since 6.45am so im just waiting for her to wake again now.
So basically she woke every 2.5 hours roughly for a 45 min feed. I do feel shattered after the marathon session yesterday but hopefully that was the most difficult day out of the way.

I admire your determination.
My LO is now 6 days old and so far its going well but I haven't hit anything as bad as that yet x

That's good I'm pleased!
Is your milk flowing like a tap yet? Lol.
Doesn't happen to everyone but I was so engorged then I couldn't believe how much came out.
Ds was milk drunk for days.
Xx

Happyhome - congratulations!
MW came today and said its the babies way of getting my milk to come in and that now it has worked the feeds should settle down. .......until the next time! Apparently with each growth spurt comes 24/48 hours of cluster feeding.

Rasberry K no not quite a tap although im already shocked at how much I have! I just touched my boob earlier and felt it running down my side lol!

Happyhome - congratulations!
MW came today and said its the babies way of getting my milk to come in and that now it has worked the feeds should settle down. .......until the next time! Apparently with each growth spurt comes 24/48 hours of cluster feeding.

Rasberry K no not quite a tap although im already shocked at how much I have! I just touched my boob earlier and felt it running down my side lol!

Delightful isn't it?! That'll settle down soon hopefully.
Ds did have phases of cluster feeding more, and he often did it before bed to just get stocked up for a good sleep.
The first 5 days was by far the most difficult for me though.
Xx

Well today the LO seems to be cluster feeding again :-( its day 6 and since 2.30pm she has pretty much nursed constantly (its now 6.30pm). Im exhausted. My support worker did say around day 7 there is another growth spurt, im hoping this is it! I think ill crack if shes like it all day tomorrow too.

Well today the LO seems to be cluster feeding again :-( its day 6 and since 2.30pm she has pretty much nursed constantly (its now 6.30pm). Im exhausted. My support worker did say around day 7 there is another growth spurt, im hoping this is it! I think ill crack if shes like it all day tomorrow too.

Just popping in here to say that the other growth spurts might not lead to the marathon feeds that you have been experiencing. It takes forever to feed at first, but then LO gets bigger and better at it, so even though she needs a lot of meals, it doesn't take as long. So the six-week growth spurt is not nearly as bad as the growth spurts in the beginning. In my experience. You are doing great! This is the hardest part.

Last night was better than the previous night, LO slept for 2 hour chunks and settled straight off after each feed thankfully.......lets hope she carries on this way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->