Is this excessive or normal?

lauren-kate

Reaction score
Ryan's nearly 5 months old (don't know where that went..) and on solids. I was reading on several things earlier (Hipp weaning chart, A.K books, internet) that babies on solids age 4-6 months should be drinking 16-20oz milk. Ryan's taking 6oz bottles so at most that would work out as around 4 bottles a day (at the very most). He's having about 8 or 9 bottles a day (2-3 during the night) though, along with his solids. It's not like he has only a tiny amount of solids either, he'll eat a fairly large portion pretty easily. Shouldn't I be cutting it down? And if so, how? Because surely if I refuse to give him milk, he'll just keep screaming for it?? x

I use ML and am not familiar with ounces, but I get your drift! If you need to cut down on the milk intake there are lots of options;
  • drop one bottle and substitute diluted juice (not at bedtime tho!)
  • start reduing the amount in each bottle gradually. little by little each day
  • add a little boiled water little by little.This will increase his fluids too
  • go cold turkey and just stop one bottle. battle it out till you win!

I'm sure one of these would work for you!! Good luck xxx :hugs:

what milk is the little guy on? Would one of those 'hungry baby' milks maybe be worth a think? My little girl was about 4-5 months and on 6-7 bottles a day but she gradually weaned herself down to 4 and now takes about 25-28oz a day and eats 4-5 meals a day.

I think offering water might help but I just found my little one got very fussy in the evening especially and seemed to almost 'clusterfeed', like in breastfed babies where she constantly wanted milk until bedtime.

What sort of oz's is he having, if he is having small amounts then I would say join 2 feeds together to make one bigger feed but if he is having bigger bottles then I dont have a clue apart from the hungry baby milk.

He's already on Aptamil Extra Hungry. He has 6oz at a time, but won't take any more than that.

I've tried him on water, and he wouldn't take that so I tried it with a bit of orange juice and he didn't like that either. Should I just keep persisting?

Not sure why he's always so hungry though. He was having 6oz bottles every 2 hours, which was one of the reasons we started weaning. I thought starting solids would make him take less milk, but apparently not. :wacko:

At 4 months you should not be dropping milk feeds, the solids should be an as well rather than an instead of. Those guidance notes are based on averages and don't take into account babies that are a bit different. Just keep offering him the milk.

like marley said. what solids is he having?

personally, i think babies should be kept on milk untill at least one. with the introduction of solids of course. but with both my children, they wernt introduced to solids untill after 6months and even then, they had a bottle in the morning with there breaky, a bottle after dinner if they could fit it in lol, same with tea and a bottle at bed time.

i had a friend,i say had as i no longer talk to her due to this....
when her daughter turned 3months, she decided she couldnt be bothered with the sterelising and bottle making as such.so she took her baby off milk and onto jarred food and tesocs value pop. i was FUMING!
I know i shouldnt have been but..poor baby! she did the same with her youngest son and her son had no end of problems! including many infections, meningitis that she didnt reconise untill he was blue and nearly dead!! etc.

my friends daughter who is 5months now has contracted thrush 3 times in the mouth and other infections (not sure what as ive not spoken to her,only hear through friends)

so my advice,please dont take your baby off milk if he still wants it. theres nothing wrong with him having a bottle still at 1yrs old! im not saying your child is going to contract problems but theres no harm in giving him bottle.its all good!

wish my friend would have taken my advice but shes the type of mother that sends her kids to school with no socks when its freezing weather, lets them play with their dads dangerous tools, feeds them the pizza thats been on the floor from the night before, for breakfast and throws them across the room when they annoy her. yes the socials have been round many times,last time due to her breaking her sons arm when she was shopping!! she decided to drag him to the counter by his arm when he wouldnt move! socials did naff all!!! her kids are suffering so bad..theres not much i can do tho. just gotta bring my kids up properly and be proud that im not like her and never will be!

sorry for going off subject...i always seem to rant about her! :blush:

:shock: oh my god amy thats awful :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"