is this ok?

laura109

Reaction score
So my daughter is 3 weeks old tomorrow. Since birth she had had 5 feeds in 24 hours. She feeds 4 hourly mostly. her last feed at about 11.30pm takes her through till 4.30-5.30. I dont wake her because she will wake if shes hungry. She is such a fab sleeper. I read newborns need to refuel every 3 hours but she just does not work like that. She was screaming in the evening mon and tues for 4 hours & wednesday night it became clear she had a cold.

she is abit bunged up but is sleeping great. Eating the same. Not screaming. My partner thinks after her colds gone she will back to screaming between her 7.30 and 11.30 feed. If she had evening colic would she still kick of even with a cold or could she have been xrying due to a cold starting?

It's impossible to know what will happen, but it's very common for most babies to have a 'witching hour' (or more likely, hours) in the evenings exactly when you describe. It's not colic. It's just that they get more agitated and need more comfort than during the rest of the day, and sometimes more food. If you were BF, it would likely lead to cluster feeding, small feeds repeatedly over hours and sometimes staying on the breast for hours at a time in the evenings. Just because babies are FF doesn't mean they work any differently. The often just need more comfort and sometimes little feeds more often in the evenings. This also tends to correspond to the time in the day when we think we should put them down to sleep or leave them alone while we get dinner ready or sit down for five seconds, etc. So it makes sense for the evenings to be disrupted. It's hard to know if it will continue, but just go with it and do whatever works. We always wore our daughter in a wrap in the evenings to help soothe her and let her sleep during those hours (when otherwise she would have been fussy and agitated if we'd tried to put her down). We did that until about 4 months and then she slept fine on her own without any of the usual 'witching hours'. If she is crying though, just pick her up, hold her, feed her more (it doesn't matter if she's on a schedule or whatever). It will pass.

Thank you. So would u say give her 2 more oz or something in between 7 and 11? Or another 4oz feed?

I'd offer her one more ounce and see if she takes it at your feed before she gets super fussy, maybe that extra bit would get her through. Also, extra cuddles are never a bad thing. She's still really small at three weeks old.

One book I read that really helped us was called "Happiest Baby on the Block", the one thing that helped us with fussiness was putting him in a swaddle. You can try that during her fussy time - the best one we found to be the Aden and Anais Easy Swaddle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->