Is this related to being late premie?

Steph4Lee

Mummy & Expecting
Reaction score
I had DS3 31st July, he was born at 35+6, and we was discharged two days, as they were monitoring for hyperglycemia, now originally his sucking reflex seemed strong, but Im noticing feeding times are bit of a struggle, he has a sucking reflex, but he doesn't suck constantly, he is formula fed, and tens to fall asleep after the first ounce, most he has managed so far is 2oz, so is this related to him being premature?

What can I do to improve the sucking reflex, and any advice for when he falls asleep during feeds?

We saw a cranial osteo to help him with numerous things, one of which was his sucking and she worked wonders. He was FF too. He was born at 36 weeks weighing 4lb 13oz. He too fell asleep during feeding and I was worried but to be honest as he got bigger and stronger towards what would have been his due day he fell asleep less and less.

Maybe try different bottles/teats?

One of the doctors told me that it might be that changing nappy mid-feed would wake up sleepy head enough for her to take more in a feed. All she took to start with was about 60ml on a good day - now she's a bottomless milk pit so it does come with time.

It can be related to prematurity I'm afraid, but persevere, it will get better.
I had huge problems with my LOs latch, so much so it took til 3 months corrected to get better. We also found using orthopedic teats helped (like MAM, NUK) but I am not sure why, I think they may be a little easier

I'd try moving up a teat size x

Prem babys get tired out easier than term babys. Changing babys nappy half way through can help wake them up, as can removing some clothing so they are a bit cooler. It gets better as they get older, When lo was first born it used to take her an hour to drink 90ml but after a few months she could drink 120 in 15 mins.

I was told to tickle Abby's feet when she fell asleep during a feed. Most people swear by it. Never worked for Abby though and now she likes me to do it as she falls asleep!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->