Isabelle....

Mandy_2009

Proud mummy to Isabelle!!
Reaction score
Born 8 days over due....

Isabelle Scarlett Jones

Ok so after having a sweep... on Sunday 6th February at 7.45am I woke up as my OH left for work and went for a wee only to find some thick mucus looking stuff coming out.... I was very excited but seeing as I was exactly a week over due did not want to get my hopes up at all.... so I got back into bed only to have a bit of a stomach ache.... I called my mum to tell her what I had experienced.... she told me to keep an eye on my tummy and to time contractions if they came.... they started to get worse so I ran myself a bath and laid in it for a while to ease the contractions ( I wasn’t in pain at this point just felt a bit strange).... I called my OH to tell him I thought LO would be here soon (little did I know then that it would be a long while!!) I also called my mum as was worried about OH getting back late.... my mum turned up within 5 mins and started timing contractions but they were really irregular and not causing me pain.... OH turned up just after my mum.... my mum left us after a while and after a few hours we thought we should go to the hospital to see what was happening so I rang my mum (who was in the middle of cooking us dinner) to ask her to take us to the hospital.... we arrived only to find that I was just 1cm dilated but the midwife thought we would be back that night!! So off we all went back to my mum and dads for dinner.... was having contractions throughout the afternoon but again they were not regular.... the only thing that was regular was my constant back ache!! My back ache got so bad I got my mum to drop us home so I could just relax and have a bath.... all night my back was literally agonising.... I ended up sitting up all night with contractions and back ache – I’m not sure on the actual timings but at some point in the early hours of Monday morning we went back to the hospital at some point and met a really nice midwife called Claire she examined me and I was 3cm dilated.... so back home we were again.... I didn’t get any sleep at all and was having contractions and back ache all morning Monday and my OH eventually got me to call the hospital – I was fed up of going up there only to be sent home again as I kept getting my hopes up!! I think it must of been around 11am that we went back to the hospital and I got to bounce on the birthing ball .... I called my mum who left work early to come and offer her support.... she arrived around 12.30ish and the midwives were saying that they were probably going to have to send me home or put me down on the maternity unit.... I felt like crying (again) as it seemed nobody understood how much my back ached and how bad the contractions were.... I agreed to take a walk and get something to eat.... my appetite was still with me ate two sandwiches, chips, crisps and chocolate!!
We walked back up to the birthing suite where I asked them to examine me as I still felt I could not go back home.... to the midwives suprise I was 6cm dilated – and the words “Your not going anywhere except here” were very pleasing to hear – finally it felt like LO would be here soon (little did I know it would be quite a few more hours).... so that must of been approx 3pm.... from then until 8pm I was having contractions – at 8pm the midwives swapped over (unfortunately) and they decided to break my waters as I was 8cm and it didn’t seem like that was going to happen naturally.... this was probably the most painful thing so far!! The midwife tried twice and then had to go and get the previous midwife who was just finishing her shift to have a go and she did it within seconds (I was unhappy that the other midwives were finishing their shifts as despite them trying to send me home earlier they turned out to be very very nice!) However one of the new midwives - a student was extremely nice and I got on really well with her but didn’t think much of the actual midwife.... anyway so my waters broke and almost instantly more contractions started coming but I just dealt with them on the bouncy ball (I really should get one of these!) After about an hour and a half I decided to get in the pool which was very soothing but then the contractions started to seriously cause me sooo much pain and they suggested I try the gas and air which I did but at first I didn’t like it I just remember feeling really dizzy and faint so I didn’t want to use it but when the pain kept coming I really needed something so gave it another go and it actually became my BEST FRIEND (that stuff is soooo good the pain just seemed to disappear) – I don’t actually remember talking whilst on the gas and air but my mum and OH and midwives afterwards told me that I was hilarious on it apparently I just started laughing to myself and was telling everybody how good it was and saying it was like having a night on the town!!
So was in the pool and was now on gas and air and the midwives were telling me that baby should be here by midnight!! They were also telling me to push if I felt like pushing before labour started I was always wondering “How do u know when to push” but trust me you will just know!! So I start pushing when I felt like I needed too and sooooo the pushing begun and the clocks went past midnight and I was seriously not impressed they kept telling me I was doing “a great job and baby will be here soon” but I was getting exhausted I had been pushing for over 2 hours and still no baby.... it must of been around 1.30am when they got me out the pool (this was when I knew something was wrong) and they asked me to lay on the couch and push but in the background I heard voices asking if the doctor was free yet....before I knew it I was taken into labour ward (where I seriously never wanted to end up!) There was a doctor waiting for me – my legs were put into stirrups and a drip into my hand – by this point I was literally exhausted from all the pushing and hysterical because I was in a lot of pain and only having gas and air I was also worried about little one arriving safely – all I could do was ask my mum “whats happening to me” she was so upset she couldn’t even talk (all day she was saying how nice the birthing suite was and how she wished she had the opportunity to use a pool instead of having her legs up in stirrups and having ventouse and forcep deliveries – so by this point I think she felt very upset and guilty for saying those things).... So basically I was in absolute agony and having loads of gas and air to take the pain away – the doctor told me she was going to have to make a cut so that she could help me get the baby out and that when I felt a contraction coming I was to use my whole body to push little one out (I felt really upset cause the midwives had made pushing for hours and I could of saved some energy for this point when I needed it most) – anyway eventually.... I pushed as hard as I could and with the help of the ventouse I heard the doctor say “the head is out” and they asked OH to have a look – he went to have a look and I remember him looking like a ghost!
After an agonising few more pushes I heard little one cry and baby was put on my belly (a baby that felt like an elephant) it was 2.32am on Tuesday 9th February 42 hours after contractions had begun and I had my little girl!! Unfortunately baby had to be taken straight off me as I had to be partially stitched then I was given the news that I had suffered a third degree tear – then I had to wait around 2 hours before I went to theatre to be sewn back together – I couldn’t hold her and needless to say my birth plan had not gone to PLAN!!
Izzy weighed 9lbs 110z and came out with her hand up next to her head and also her shoulder was stuck she had shoulder dystocia which is why it took so long for her to come out – well that and the fact she was a big baby!

Throughout the whole experience I could not of done it without the support from both OH and my mum they were my two rocks and I will never forget just how much they helped me (my poor mum fainted twice!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->