It makes so mad and it shouldn't....

momof2babies

Reaction score
It makes me so mad when parents freak out about stupid things that happen with their kids. I know it shouldn't but it does. I have 2 special needs kids with enough problems to where were at the doctor or er at least once a month. All the other parents I know freak out about simple things that happen to all kids that really aren't anything to worry about (vomiting for more than a couple hours or fever above 101 etc). My daughter has some form of neuro developmental disorder that has yet to be diagnosed. She has seizures and lots of mobility issues. When she gets sick it's hard and fast and gets scary and she's my healthy child. My son has autism, epilepsy and asthma. He was born without a thymus gland and that produces most of your t-cells in infancy. So he got very sick really often. Being a mom of special needs kids is something I wouldn't trade for the world. It's not something you ask for but except it when it's thrust upon you. So it's just frustrating when I see kids being put through unnecessary medical procedures because the parents have this idea that kids get sick but not "My Kid" or its not "normal" for my kid. If I took my kids in for every thing we would live there. Sorry for the rant but I've just been in one of those ruts lately where I'm just sad for my kids with all they have to go through and how unsure their futures look.

I get that its frustrating for sure. Other mums haven't been in your shoes they don't have these experiences that you have so for them these things are a big deal and they worry naturally even if it does seem insignificant to others. Its what us mums do. I have healthy anxiety I take my kids to the doctor for a lot of things it helps me sleep at night knowing they have been checked out. Hope your feeling better soon x

Sometimes parents have to go to the doctor as social services are involved. I currently have them monitoring me as my daughter probably has autism and they think we're not doing enough to encourage her to do anything. So any bump, mark or sniffle we have to go to the doctor. Its ridiculous to be honest as I'm one of those parents who like to wait and see if its just a cold or it will go down tomorrow. Obviously with either of my children had a medical emergency I wouldn't hesitate to go, but I hate wasting people's time as well as my own over nothing.

There is a huge difference between a parent worrying when their child has been sick for more than a couple of hours and a parent putting their child through unnecessary medical procedures. I don't know anyone who does the latter, I do however know some parents who worry more than others and I know some parents who visit the doctor more frequently than I would, mainly for reassurance. It doesn't bother me though, it's not like some competition where your kid is sicker than mine :dohh:

I'm a worrier. I freak out when my kids get sick. I hate it but I have an anxiety disorder. But I also hate wasting people's time and cling to the "red flag" signs their paediatrician has given me. I repeat them over and over when I start to panic. But the fear is always there, logical or not.

I also would feel guilty to say "well, so and so has REAL medical issues". I don't know. I would feel like it's patronizing to say "at least I don't have it as bad as so and so".

I do see your point of view though. I might feel the same way if my kids had other health concerns. My son does get croup really easily and has gone to the hospital multiple times for it but it was always treated easily as well and isn't frequent enough for it to really be a huge issue. I just get nervous every time he has a cold. And now freak out when DD is sick even though she's hardly sick and doesn't get that sick when she does.

mummy2o - I'm sorry social services is riding you like that. :nope: I don't even know how they are able to stick their noses in certain people's lives like that. We're getting assigned a worker simply because our son has a disability (autism). Others are assuring me it's not THAT kind of social worker (the kind who threatens to take them away) but I'm sure they have easy access to that and I have heard they will judge your housekeeping but you have to be careful not to be TOO clean when they come because they'll think you're hiding something. Blah.

Wish parents were trusted to use their own judgement. Most of the time we're just trying our best.

As a mum that lost her child to meningitis, I would rather see a mum at the doctors every day to check her child was ok, than be sat at home worrying, and have to experience what I have.
I'm sorry you're children have done medical issues, but you shouldn't be so quick to judge. You have no idea what road another person is walking unless you are on their shoes. I don't understand why it bothers you, it's not effecting you?

Starry night, you don't have to have the social worker. It's just for extra support. You can 'opt out' at any stage, please don't worry that they'll be looking at your house or taking your child, it's different to them being brought in becUse of concerns x

OP I understand you have a lot to deal with but this thread is so unfair to others parents. We all have our own issues in life. We shouldn't judge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->