It's my due date...but she's already here!

MrsH86

Reaction score
Well firstly I just want to thank every one who has responded to my posts or has posted questions I'd want to know the answer to, this site has helped so much over the past nine months and I'll definitely be on checking on everyone who is due soon!

After a crazy 5 days in hospital I am home with my birth story-seems so crazy writing that after reading so many. Mine is pretty extreme but still wanted to share.

Freya Jean Lily Haynes was born at 11.28 am on Saturday 3rd September 2011 weighing 8lbs 2.5oz.

I arrived in hospital on Thursday 1st Sept for my induction. I was apprehensive but after being checked and told my cervix was favourable and 1cm dilated I was quite excited and wanted to get on with it. The pessary was put in about 11am and then it was just a waiting game. My hubby and I hung around the hospital waiting and although I started getting some aches and heaviness nothing seemed to be happening so hubby had to go as visiting hours ended-hated that part. The next day he came back and I was checked again, unfortunately nothing had changed, I was sooo annoyed. Had been walking and bouncing for hours! So, then the next one was inserted to be checked again in 6 hours. We waited and waited but I didn't get checked again until 10.30pm. I was certain by now something must have been going on, had some timed pains, had my bloody show etc. Doctor came to check and break waters to find I was only 1cm still, at a push 2cm. So after a very uncomfortable sweep he popped my waters. Wow! Weird feeling but I was excited to get things underway. At 1.30am the drip was inserted. I hated it, being confined to a bed, constantly monitored with CTG. I was so gutted my whole birth plan of being natural and using moving to ease through the contractions was gone. The midwife mentioned an epidural but I really hadn't wanted one so carried on as the drip was upping each half an hour and began using gas and air about 5am. At the midwife swap over I was told I'd be checked at 9am. The pain in my back was pretty bad by now, contractions coming every 2-3 mins, lasting a min, I was sure I wasn't far from meeting my little girl.

Sadly this is where things started to go wrong.

After 8 hours of contractions, the drip on full and waters already gone I was checked...and still 2cm. I was exhausted from no sleep and the midwife went and got the consultant to speak to me regards options. She was lovely and explained in my G&A induced state that there was no chance of me dilating even if they kept me on the drip for 24 more hours. I was so upset to have to have a caesarean but knew she needed to get out. My poor hubby was in tears knowing how I'd wanted things so naturally and yet now it would be epidural, c section and a hospital stay.

I was calm, probably thanks to the gas and air but was explained the procedure and hubby was bought scrubs through to change into to meet me there. I should point out that throughout the drip my little girls heartbeat was dipping and after monitoring me for another half an hour while waiting for the theatre to become available her heartbeat was not improving. Anyway we got into theatre and the anaesthetist began attempting to give me a spinal, which would then be followed by an epidural for any top ups. After 12 attempts and lots of panicked pressure from the doctors and midwives in there with me they lost her heartbeat completely. Within two minutes I was down under a general anaesthetic.

Having never had any type of anaesthetic before it was all very scary and I remember just hoping I'd wake up with my little girl safe and well. Coming round was weird, my hubby was allowed into the recovery room and seeing him holding our daughter was such an overwhelming sight. I remember the first thing I asked was how much she weighed but she hadn't even been weighed yet as they wanted to wait for me to come round etc. The midwife did tell me she was very floppy and lifeless when taken out but as they tried to rescusitate her she pushed the tube away so they knew she was fine.

It was now about 1.30pm and I was kept in recovery until 3 ish with hubby and our little girl, allowed some skin to skin and they helped her onto my nipple. I felt so groggy and sore but seeing her was all worth it. I was moved onto the ward afterwards and the midwives were fanastic helping me with her as I couldn't really move much and had to obviously stay in bed for 24hours due to catheter.

Anyway I am now home, seems so surreal it all happened. We are all well, struggling with feeding as milk hasn't come in yet but will get there and still a bit sore.

Thank you all for your input over the past nine months and good luck x

Attachments

• freya hospital.jpg
    freya hospital.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 61
Congratulations, she's beautiful. Sorry you didn't get the natural birth you wanted though. xx

awww wow what a birth story! im sorry things didnt work out the way you wanted, but likkle one is here safe and sound :-D your obviously doing well for you to be home

she is adeorable! congratulations to you and your hubby!

How cute congrats on your new baby girl she is a doll. I'm sorry your birth didn't go as planned but I'm glad you and LO are doing good.

Woah what a journey! it must have been really scary, well done for coping so well. she is beautiful and you must be very proud, congratulations x x x

Glad that you are both safe and at home :) Sounds like you had a good team looking after you and your beautiful girl as well.

Omg I can't believe ur baby is here :D sad ur not gonna be around so much. Anyway congrats she is fab! Xx

she is beautiful, congratulations x

Congratulations, glad u r both safe & well after ur lil ones scary entry into the world.

Wow congrats, what a scary experience! You will be such a strong woman as a result, well done you!! Beautiful baby!!!! Xx

Congratulations! Your birth may not have gone how you planned, but you have been blessed with a beautiful little girl. Enjoy her and I hope you're feeling less sore soon xxx

congratulations! that was a very scary and emotional read. i'm glad all ended well

Wow sounds scary but sounds like you coped fabulously! congratulations!
She is just perfect!
Hope you're recovering well x

congratulations, shes gorgeous and glad your both well, sorry you didnt get the birth plan you wanted but at least you got the prize in the end :) take it easy and congrats again xxx

Awww so glad it all turned out okay in the end and you and LO are well. Congrats!!!! xx

Congratulations, she's beautiful - Glad your both ok :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->