IUD/Coil

L

lepaskilf

Hi all, does anyone use one of these? Can you tell me the pros/cons of them please? xxx

I have the Mirena IUD, I've had a positive experience with it, I love it and I'll never go back to a BCP. Other people will have their own pros/cons to list, but what I can think of:

Pros-
. regulated period
. no pills to forget, mix up, take late
. antibiotics don't interfere
. lighter, shorter periods
. can make your period go away until it's taken out
. can be left in for up to 5 years
. very effective

Cons-
. insertion is not comfy- it involves the doctor putting a speculum in, clamping your cervix open, and feeding the IUD through a tube into place
. lots of erm, cervical mucous/discharge after insertion for a few days for me
. people report off-cycle bleeding
. if you did get pregnant while it's in.. risk of ectopic pregnancy and miscarriage

I'm really interested in this too...

if you did get pregnant while it's in.. risk of ectopic pregnancy and miscarriage
Is that at all likely? Or is it a one in a million sort of risk?

I have the copper coil

hurt like hell getting it in ...bled very heavy for few days cycle regular now

getting pregnant while its in is very low chance of x

I'm really interested in this too...

if you did get pregnant while it's in.. risk of ectopic pregnancy and miscarriage
Is that at all likely? Or is it a one in a million sort of risk?

Because overall the erm failure rate of the IUD is 0.01%, your chances of having an ectopic pregnancy should be same or lower than someone who's gotten pregnant without an IUD in place. But my gyno told me that if I were to get pregnant that they would be checking it out, she explained they don't cause ectopic pregnancy but there is a higher rate of ectopic pregnancies in the pregnancies of women with IUDs than women without them. Also she explained to me if I were to become pregnant somehow I should have it removed, but removal can cause miscarriage I was warned.. again, it's very effective so the chances of ANY pregnancy are really low.

IUDs do not increase the risk of ectopic pregnancy. The IUD protects against all pregnancies, including tubal implantation or ectopic pregnancies. IUD users are therefore less likely to experience an ectopic pregnancy than sexually active women using no contraceptive method. In the unlikely event of pregnancy in an IUD user, that pregnancy is more likely to be ectopic than would be a pregnancy in a non-user. Still, pregnancy for an IUD user is far more likely to be normal than ectopic: only an estimated one in every 13 to 16 pregnancies, or six percent to eight percent, is ectopic.

yeah, i went to my docs to chat about it and he said i need to do a preg test (because i'm not having periods because of breastfeeding) if its clear then i can have one. And if u have a history of ectopic then you shouldn't have one. An iud doesn't stop the egg being fertilized, it just stops it from implanting which means that an ectopic can still happen.

Does it really hurt having it put in??

I didn't find it painful whatsoever. She told me "oh you're going to feel a pinch here" (when she clamped my cervix) but it was nothing really. I had misoprostol prescribed to me off-label, 2 pills to insert, to prepare

I had the mirena coil fitted around 2 months ago and its the best thing ive done.
The insertion was a little uncomfortable but nothing too horrible, i had pretty nasty cramps that evening then in the morning it was gone and havent noticed anything since.
Only just had a period which is good :) and it was very very light.
Definately reccomend it, also you can have it in for up to 5 years, so thats a long time to not worry about contraception. And it doesnt affect your fertility unlike the injection and implant, which can take years to come back after you stop having it, with the coil the minute is took out you are fertile :D

Ive got a frameless one called Gynefix(it works with copper rings lined up on a nylong string, pierced into the uterine wall )

advantages:
regulated cyclus,
no failure due to forgetting anything
cost relation (200€ for 5 years , I think is cheaper han condoms or the pill or similar for same amount of time
no influence of body's well adjusted hormonal setting

disadvantages: can make epriod stronger(not so in my case)
not for short term usage
can be rejected/fall out(rare but can happen)

advantages to ordinary IUD: less irritation, less heavy periods, easier to fit in, also suitable for people who havent born yet..

oh yea was mostly painless tog et it in, of course the pinching was there but it didnt last long. (like getting an injection sort of)

https://picnica.ciao.com/de/35785958.jpg

I have the Mirena IUD, I've had a positive experience with it, I love it and I'll never go back to a BCP. Other people will have their own pros/cons to list, but what I can think of:

Pros-
. regulated period

The mirena coil does not regulate periods in fact the main side effect and a reason why a lot of women have it removed is irregular bleeding.

For some women periods stop altogether but for someone who already has an irregular cycle, it doesn't regulate it unfortunately.

Pros-
. regulated period

The mirena coil does not regulate periods in fact the main side effect and a reason why a lot of women have it removed is irregular bleeding.

For some women periods stop altogether but for someone who already has an irregular cycle, it doesn't regulate it unfortunately.

I'm not saying I'm a doctor or anything and I know just speaking from my experience... I am currently experiencing 28 day cycles with my period coming the exact day it's due. Actually for the first 5 months that was true, this month my period came a few days early, but was even lighter than the periods I've previously had with the Mirena in - which were already a drastic improvement from what I was dealing with before :) Before I had Elyse my periods could be 2 weeks to 2 months apart :shrug:

I'm one of the ones that pretty much hasn't had a period since insertion. :happydance: I use the Mirena IUD (although in the leaflet I think they call it an IUS? Intra Uterine System? :shrug: )

It wasn't pleasant getting it inserted, and I was kind of uncomfortable for a few days afterwards but nothing really major. I had very light, almost like spotting bleeding for periods but since I had it done in July I've barely had any sort of bleeding whatsoever!

It kind of freaked me out, and I've done a few tests to make sure I'm not pregnant, lmao. If you can afford it, I'd highly recommend one!

thanks for the replys, i'm booked in nxt week, bit nervous about the insertion but can't be as bad as childbirth eh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->