I've done it - 18 months exclusively pumping!

HopefulPony

Mummy to Porge and Bobbin
Reaction score
So proud to share this milestone with you ladies! Today I've reached 18 months exclusively pumping for my sweet boy! He has never managed to latch and transfer due to undiagnosed tongue and lip tie, and we have had a very rocky journey. I started off mostly formula feeding him and never thought I would be able to build up a full supply and go for even 6 months, and now here we are at 18! I am weaning now as I'm expecting number 2 and I'm tired :) but so pleased to have been able to give my baby the gift of breast milk for so long.

May I ask, how did you build up your supply to suit his needs exclusively pumping? I'm trying to do the same, but having trouble pumping enough to feed him without supplementing with formula. Did you have a specific pumping schedule?

I pumped 8 times a day until 3 months. It's recommended that you pump 10-12 times a day, or every 2-3 hours, for at least the first 12 weeks to establish a good supply :) you need to pump for at least 15-20 minutes each time. Do you use a double pump? That's much better than a single for exclusive pumping. Make sure you take your vitamins and drink plenty of water, also make sure you eat enough calories. It's very important in the first few months that you pump at least once between 1-5am, when your hormone levels peak.

If you are on Facebook, there's a group called Exclusively Pumping Group which is absolutely amazing!

Hope that helps, mama xxx

I do use a double pump, but reading your response, I think my problem is that I'm not pumping often enough. I probably do it about 6 times a day, and it seems like I'm losing my supply. I'll add a few more sessions during the day and 1-2 at night. I also lost a lot of blood right after labor and required a transfusion, so now I'm anemic. That probably doesn't help matters. I'll be sure to stick with prenantals and eat more iron heavy foods. Thanks for the advice!

Wow well done! That is amazing dedication to pump for so long! :D

Good job mom!

How much milk were you pumping each time you pumped?

Im working again and am only able to pump every two hours during the working hours and I get 2-3oz TOTAL and use an electronic dual pump. So I'm able to pump 10-11oz during 8 hours. And I can pump another 10 oz later. So in 24hrs, I pump 20-25oz.

I breastfeed after I pump.

Its tough!

I bow down, it's amazing to pump that long. Good job Momma!

Good job mom!

How much milk were you pumping each time you pumped?

Im working again and am only able to pump every two hours during the working hours and I get 2-3oz TOTAL and use an electronic dual pump. So I'm able to pump 10-11oz during 8 hours. And I can pump another 10 oz later. So in 24hrs, I pump 20-25oz.

I breastfeed after I pump.

Its tough!

That's totally normal, the rule of thumb is one oz per hour, so you are doing great! At my peak I was only ever able to produce about 24oz per day, no breastfeeding at all, so you are doing really well :)

Wow that's a fantastic achievement, what an inspiration :thumbup: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->