IVF

Kristin83

Mommy to twin boys & NTNP
Reaction score
We found out about a week ago that the only way of us getting pregnant is through IVF.

Can anyone give me some advice on what I should do to prepare?
How long does it take once you find out that is the route you are going to take?

I will be grateful for any advice. It's kinda scary right now to think about everything...

Thanks in advance

hi hun....We were told awhile ago that the only way we would concieve is through IVF?ICSI. I wanted to explore all our options before shelling out the big dough. We did. Nothing has worked. I called the clinic yesterday and the Nurse said to call in on the first day of my period. From what she said it will be a couple months......im not sure if it will be the same for you or what tests you have or need. Hope that helps :) Good luck!!

thank you. Fortunatly our insurance will cover it which is a huge relief. I figured it wouldnt be till after Christmas atleast till anything happens.

Have you done anything to prepare? I hear some people get accupuncture and was wondering how that worked out...

Hey Kristin

I know that the states is different to the UK but basically to prepare for my cycle i took a good multi vit for conception with folic acid. I ate a balanced diet, ensured that i drank at least 2ltr of water a day and up to 3ltr when i was cycle to avoid OHSS and i also ate more lean protein as this can apparently help with egg/follie production etc.

Some people do get accupuncture and they say that starting a couple of months before IVF has the maximum effect - it can help with relaxation. I'm a scared of needles so more needles will not have a relaxing effect!!!

Good luck x

Hi!

Hubby has been doing acupuncture as we know a few couples that it helped them get pregnant and they had low sperm count. So far...nothing. I won't be doing it. This is costing us everything already. Keep in touch - maybe we'll be going at it the same time.

I have changed my diet to prepare also, I need to lose some weight also. I have read that being overweight decreases the chances of it working by 30%. I'm not too overweight but it also wouldnt hurt to take some off. i have been taking pre-natal vitamins for about 2 years, they should have enough folic acid but i'll double check on that.

It looks like my insurance covers an accupunturist in my area. i dont like needles either but I think I may try it. It wouldnt hurt and if it helps me decrease my stress that would be amazing! My stress levels are so high because of work that i'm worried that will have a negative effect

Hi Kristin, prior to our IVF cycle, I lost about 10 lbs. I started drinking tons of water and eating better (cutting out some junk food and adding more fruits and veggies). I also made sure to keep as much stress out of my life as possible. I told my friends and family to keep me out of any drama and I drastically cut down my schedule so that I could relax more.

During IVF, I made sure to drink tons of water and gatorade. I was going to try acupuncture but couldn't get an appointment with anyone. I was so worried that this was going to hurt my chances and I was really distraught about it. However, I talked with my Dr. and he said that other than one study, acupuncture did not seem to have a major effect on IVF success rates. He said it was more about stress relief. And honestly, I could hardly find time to fit more appointments into my schedule so it was sort of a relief not to have to do the acupuncture appointments.

As far as timing, as soon as we told my Dr. that we wanted to move onto IVF, things moved fast. I don't remember the exact timing but I just needed
to wait for my next ovulation. Once that was detected, I was able to start my meds. We were very lucky and got pregnant on the first IVF cycle. I think the weight loss helped and destressing. Plus we had an amazing Dr. But I think also a lot of it comes down to luck. BTW, we are practically neighbors! I am right over the bridge in Philly :)

Hi Kristin, prior to our IVF cycle, I lost about 10 lbs. I started drinking tons of water and eating better (cutting out some junk food and adding more fruits and veggies). I also made sure to keep as much stress out of my life as possible. I told my friends and family to keep me out of any drama and I drastically cut down my schedule so that I could relax more.

During IVF, I made sure to drink tons of water and gatorade. I was going to try acupuncture but couldn't get an appointment with anyone. I was so worried that this was going to hurt my chances and I was really distraught about it. However, I talked with my Dr. and he said that other than one study, acupuncture did not seem to have a major effect on IVF success rates. He said it was more about stress relief. And honestly, I could hardly find time to fit more appointments into my schedule so it was sort of a relief not to have to do the acupuncture appointments.

As far as timing, as soon as we told my Dr. that we wanted to move onto IVF, things moved fast. I don't remember the exact timing but I just needed
to wait for my next ovulation. Once that was detected, I was able to start my meds. We were very lucky and got pregnant on the first IVF cycle. I think the weight loss helped and destressing. Plus we had an amazing Dr. But I think also a lot of it comes down to luck. BTW, we are practically neighbors! I am right over the bridge in Philly :)

Hubby just got a 2nd SA done Tuesday so we are waiting on the results (doc actually called yesterday but we werent home and now I'm waiting for them to respond to the message i left them). Hopefully the same goes for me and they will start right away. I'm actually ovulating right now...so hopefully next month :) I guess when I talk to my doc I'll see what they think about the accupunture..some stress relief would be nice, my job drives me nuts...lol

Congrats on getting pregnant your first try!! :happydance: Hopefully the same will go for me!

I think you are the first person I've seen on here that has been so close to me.

I really hope your first cycle is a success!! I never thought we would be so lucky. But IVF really does work. I was prepared to have to go another round or two but feel really blessed that we didn't have to.

:dust:

Hi Kristen,
We found out that IVF was our only option in April this year. We were lucky enough to get ball rolling fairly quickly and I started IVF treatment in June. In August we found our we were pregnant first time round! IVF is an amazing gift which helps people like us and even though its the long road around it makes it all so so special when it works. I wish you all the luck in the world any more questions just ask xxxxxx

Hi Kristen,
We found out that IVF was our only option in April this year. We were lucky enough to get ball rolling fairly quickly and I started IVF treatment in June. In August we found our we were pregnant first time round! IVF is an amazing gift which helps people like us and even though its the long road around it makes it all so so special when it works. I wish you all the luck in the world any more questions just ask xxxxxx

Congrats! I'm trying to stay very positive and being on here is helping a lot. I know they say the success rate is only 47% or so but it seems like most of you on here have been very successful :)

I'm calling tomorrow to make an appt to start the tests that I have to do and an appt for the urologist for hubby. They suggested it to rule out anything that can be fixed with him. Wouldnt that be nice...if they could do something with him that would fix the issue....

I'm excited and scared at the same time. I just worry now about the cost of the medications.....

Hey! Best of luck to you on your journey! I too was told IVF/ICSI would be our only option. We found out late June and I started about a month later. Although it didn't work out for us on our first try, we have lots of frosties waiting for us :) We are going to try our first FET soon.

Lots of luck to you :hugs:

Good news!

I just got some preliminary tests done today..no cysts, polyps. my uterus is healthy :)

And...the doc saw 12 follicles on one side and 14 on the other! He said I will have plenty of eggs for when they are ready to take them :thumbup:

And I've lost 10 pounds..yay!!!

Finally...some good news :happydance:

Thats brilliant! Do you have any schedules for starting the IV schedule?

We too have been told we needed IVF with ICSI. We've had two failed cycles. The second cycle we didn't get to transfer anything. I'm hoping to try our third cycle soon.

Get plenty of sleep. Eat healthy--for me that meant as much organic as possible. Stay away from alcohol. Exercise. I wish I had more advice for you. Stay strong and be positive! If it's ment to be, it will happen for you. Good luck!! Sending you LOTS of baby dust :D

Thats brilliant! Do you have any schedules for starting the IV schedule?

Not yet...we have to go to a group class that they do at the office...they talk about whats going to happen and teach the hubby's how to do the shots...

i'm thinking we are going to wait till January...i want to lose about 20lbs more before we start....

I am just happy that the diet I started is working and its easy for me to do. I stopped the alcohol awhile ago but I never really drank all that much to begin with. I wish I've been exercising more and will be soon. I hurt my back last week so I couldnt really do too much..

Well thats all positve! Im pleased for you.
love and babydust xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->