Jam for 9 month old?

Sarah Lou 80

Reaction score
Is jam ok to give a 9month old? I don't want to rot teeth before they've even come through!! MIL asked if she could give him jam when she babysits for us this week.

ETA- prob wont make any difference, but it would be homemade jam!

Yes, as long as it's part of a normal balanced diet! Just make sure to brush teeth properly, as usual. Things like raisins are probably worse for teeth as they stick, whereas jam will not be around for that long :)

Yes, as long as it's part of a normal balanced diet! Just make sure to brush teeth properly, as usual. Things like raisins are probably worse for teeth as they stick, whereas jam will not be around for that long :)

Thank you! Although his teeth haven't come through yet. I'm guessing I don't need to clean his gums with paste?

Personally, I don't like to give any added sugar other than the occasional pinch when cooking something (like I add a pinch of sugar to my tomato sauce, for instance, otherwise it tastes like crap). Generally, I think they say no added sugar to about a year. Once probably isn't going to hurt, but there are plenty of other things if you don't feel comfortable with it. I think it used to be the practice in older generations to feed babies up on sweet foods and puddings to help them put on weight (back when our diets weren't as great or food wasn't as plentiful), so that's probably where she's getting it from. Things like nut butters, hummus, banana or other fruit puree/mash, or even yogurt work well too (or just plain butter), if you would rather she not use jam though.

Personally, I don't like to give any added sugar other than the occasional pinch when cooking something (like I add a pinch of sugar to my tomato sauce, for instance, otherwise it tastes like crap). Generally, I think they say no added sugar to about a year. Once probably isn't going to hurt, but there are plenty of other things if you don't feel comfortable with it. I think it used to be the practice in older generations to feed babies up on sweet foods and puddings to help them put on weight (back when our diets weren't as great or food wasn't as plentiful), so that's probably where she's getting it from. Things like nut butters, hummus, banana or other fruit puree/mash, or even yogurt work well too (or just plain butter), if you would rather she not use jam though.

Well he loves peanut butter and hummus so I might send that round with him! I think you're right....it's definitely an older generational thing! I know when he's a bit older she'll be feeding him choc biscuits! I don't mind too much as I used to have treats at my grandparents house! It's a nan thing I think!!

Thanks for the replies peeps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->