Joel Aiden - Feb 28, 09

CeliaM

Pregnant mom of 2
Reaction score
I thought I'd better hurry up and type this out, as 3 weeks and little sleep later, the birth story is all becoming quite fuzzy!

Not sure where to begin!

It was a cold and snowy day... lol

I had shovelled snow the night before to try and get labour going, as well as dancing with the kids and doing lots of cleaning. The 28th was my due date, and I didn't want to go overdue! This eve, I was settling down to a nice supper with my mother, hubby and kids of Chinese takeout as I was too tired to cook. I had been having mild, irregular contractions since about 3pm - nothing out of the ordinary for me.

Earlier that week I'd had a nasty flu which sent me to the hospital, and tricked everyone to thinking I was in labour as the stomach cramps and dehydration set off contractions. But then I puked all over the place, and we realized it was the flu! And the night before I had contractions 7mins apart for a couple hours, but they eventually faded away. So after those false alarms, and seeing as the cold and snowy day was turning into a cold and snowy night, I was in no hurry to rush out the door.

Maybe it was the fact that it was my duedate though, but I had woken up that morning thinking quite surely that today was the day. Gut instinct. So while I didn't want to head into the hospital on a whim, especially as the contractions weren't regular, I felt quite compelled to go.

We got there at about 7, and hooked up to the machines, it showed my contractions as mild and irregular, and the nurse did an internal and found me at about 4cm (which was where I had been at earlier in the week). She told me to walk the halls for a while, and the doc would come and examine me in a while to see if I had progressed at all.

We walked, and the doc checked me at 8pm, to find that I was now 6cm, and had progressed with virtually no pain at all. The doctor had another patient to attend to, and said he would check on me in an hour, and break my waters if I wanted him to. So, more walking. At 9pm, he came back and found I was dilated to 8cm. Still, labour involved very very little discomfort. Just very mild cramping I was thrilled, thinking that although my pregnancy sure had it's troubles, here labour was going great!

So at 9:30, I allowed the doc to break my waters - a decision I will always regret!!! After a painless labour, all he!! broke loose! Sheer AGONY. A thousand times worse than my labour with my son. The contractions were terribly intense, very long, and with only seconds break between them. And all I had available for pain was gas. After an hour and a half of this, the doctor checked me, and I was fully dilated, but had no urge to push. Weird.

With the next contraction though, I pushed anyways, and after starting, the natural impulse kicked in. The pushing stage lasted only 15mins, but was just terrible. He was such a big baby that after getting his big head out, his shoulders got VERY stuck. My husband said the doctor was just hauling on his head trying to pull him out while I pushed. And you know how the baby usually just slides out after that... well my big buddha baby even got stopped up by his big belly!!

When they finally laid him up on my chest, I wasn't even interested in looking at him. I couldn't bring myself to do anything but just close my eyes and be thankful that it was over.

So he was weighed and checked - a healthy strapping young man - 10lbs 9oz!! The 2nd largest baby the doctor had delivered :)

The placenta came out no problem, and then the stitching began. That was a good 30mins of no fun at all! I recall looking down at the doc stitching, pulling the thread up up up and thinking that there is no way that that much sewing needed doing! I could have hemmed a pair a pants with that!

So 2 days we spent in recovery at the hospital, mostly because we didn't have time for the Group B Strep antibiotics treatment.

I'll make an attempt to attach photos in the next post!

If it works, here's photos!

Attachments

• Dsc02016 Screen Size.jpg
    Dsc02016 Screen Size.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Dsc02002-Screen Size.jpg
    Dsc02002-Screen Size.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 89
Aww congratulations on your lovely boy. Arrived on his due date too!!

congrats on the strapping young fella!! hope you are healing well too

:happydance:

xxxxxxx

I love your big buddha baby! :) Congrats. Hope the healing goes well. :hugs:

Wow congrats on your chunky little monkey :D bless, well done xx

Awww what a lovely little bubba! Congratulations xx

Congrats hun!!!
What a big beautiful boy!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics