Juniors?!

JayMari

Reaction score
I'm expecting a son this December. OH and I have yet to agree upon a name, maybe because he's so adamant about him being a JUNIOR. I have no problem with juniors if the name is nice! My OHs name is Tyrell, I honestly don't want to call my son Tyrell. I'm also getting a lot of pressure from his mom to make him a junior. Maybe she liked the name Tyrell when she was naming her son, but I don't like that name for mine. I think the name (IMO) is ghetto/trashy. I just need some views on this Junior issue. Moms or moms-2b with a son, what is your opinion on Juniors and why/why not did u make your son a junior ?

My son is his own person. Although I'm quite liking the idea of having a daughter and her being called Minime.....

My son isn't a Jr. I think Dad's / Grandparent's names are for middle names x

I wouldn't name a junior really unless it was massively important to other half (i.e has been passed on through 5+ generations) I genuinely think you should only really give you child the same name as a dead relative

I wouldn't name a junior really unless it was massively important to other half (i.e has been passed on through 5+ generations)

I agree with this! However, I must admit if we had a girl I was kinda liking the idea of a Cameron/Camryn (OH is Cameron) but we had a boy. His first name worked perfectly, I liked the name Raffy - MIL's maiden name was Rafferty. And his middle name ended up being Cameron. But I wanted LO to have his own unique first name.

I would never name my child Jr or II

OH got to use his first name as our son's middle name but that's it.

There are so many names out there; I just don't understand the concept of using the same name as a parent. I think a child should get to be his/her own individual. Besides that, it's just confusing. I have a friend Bill whose father is also Bill, and whenever someone would call the house and ask for Bill, the response would be, "Which one?" DH's first name is Clyde but he goes by his middle name, Michael. His dad is also Clyde but goes by his middle name, Marty. And his grandfather was Clyde but actually went by Clyde. Well, of course, DH and his dad want the baby to be named Clyde. I absolutely refuse. I actually told DH that the Clyde train was ending 8 years ago when we first started dating. I did say I'd be willing to use it as a middle name (as ancient of a name as it is), but DH's dad is not happy with that. Oh well..won't use it at all then!

I wouldn't name a junior really unless it was massively important to other half (i.e has been passed on through 5+ generations)

I agree with this! However, I must admit if we had a girl I was kinda liking the idea of a Cameron/Camryn (OH is Cameron) but we had a boy. His first name worked perfectly, I liked the name Raffy - MIL's maiden name was Rafferty. And his middle name ended up being Cameron. But I wanted LO to have his own unique first name.

DH's middle name is Cameron (well, he actually has 2 middle names.. Michael and Cameron), and his sister named her baby girl Kamryn after him. It was really sweet. :)

OH wanted a jr. I said no :haha: I agree with pp, a baby should have their own name. It was different in the days when there were only about 3 names to choose from but there is so much diversity now. I also think parents/grandparents names should be middles. Or if it is REALLY important to the family put it as a first name on the birth certificate but only ever use the middle eg All oldest males' sons in my mothers family are Leonard but not one of them uses it eg My ggf Leonard Geoffery=Geoff. My gf Leonard Francis=Frank. My uncle Leonard Ian=Ian. My cousin Leonard Benjamin=Ben etc

Other option would be a variation of Tyrell:

Tyrone
Tyran
Tyrick.......?

I have to agree, I think that baby should have their own individual name, use family names as middle names, or at least skip a generation or two. ie: My youngest daughter is named after her great-grandmother Madeleine. There is a family where I live, there are three Clara's and three Jimmy's all living in the same house! :nope:

I was kinda ify on the idea. My dad was a JR, my hubby was dead set on a JR. So if we have a little boy it will be named David Chad Jr. My FIL's name is David so it would kinda be named after hubby, FIL and my dad.

I had the same problem. FOB was adamant about LO being a junior if we had a boy (thank god we ended up having a girl!) I personally am not a fan of juniors; of course its every family's personal decision but I could never do it myself. To me it seems like the child is being branded with their parent's names and doesn't get their own uniqueness in a name.

I've seena quote float around this forum a couple times and think its so true: "Having a child named after you is an honour, not a right"

I think that if you don't want the name Tyrell your husband and his mom should consider that instead of pressuring you to have a name that you don't like.

I wouldn't be able to do it either, DS has DH's name as a middle name but I think first name is too much unless there is a very strong reason for it.

I don't really like jrs, I know a few people who have named their last child their name - I personally wouldn't do this as I'd prefer my child to have their own name. Although ofc if it'd been passed in multiple generations then that's fair enough.

What about TJ? It could 'mean' Tyrell Junior but it'd just be TJ or Teejay.

I love the name Bryson but OH hates it cos his name is Brian and it'd be like "Bris Son" :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->