Just got my pap results.

ChellePepper

Reaction score
My doctor called and nonchalantly told me that my pap smear contained abnormal cells. She mentioned that spotting could sometimes produce these and we will repeat the pap smear in a year.

Has anyone experienced this? I'm already a nervous wreck. I have a huge hemorrhoid and three fever blisters, on top of all my other pregnancy symptoms. I just want to cry for days.

I haven't had this since I've been pregnant but I HAVE had it before. When mine came back abnormal, the doc was also not worried, said that stress can actually cause results to be abnormal. I re-checked 6 mos later and all was good. Maybe you could tell her that it's worrying you and you'd like a quicker re-check? Just wanted to re-assure you that they get abnormal results back all the time and rarely does it mean anything!

Yep - they waited to see if they would clear up for 18months... when they didn't I had letz treatment... and that got rid of them.

Basically pregnant or not you would probably be told to go back in 6 months for another pap... if still abnormal they may treat once you have had baby. Chances are they will revert back to normal.

It's very upsetting when they tell you, but in reality - it's very, very common and can be treated easily if they don't clear up. Just stay regular with your pap tests and your doc can stay on top of it and decide how to proceed... It will not affect baby in the slightest xx

Okay. Thanks, ladies. I am upset. She didn't seem concerned, but it is scary. All my paps have always been normal.

Pregnancy can change the cell structure of your cervix which commonly causes abnormal paps. Most doctors do not fully trust results during pregnancy. Since you have a history of normal tests there is nothing to worry about. As someone else said, if your pap is still abnormal 1 or more months after delivery than further treatments may be needed but you will be fine.

I've had it happen in pregnancy as well- no worries- what they look for is if those "abnormal" cells have any changes on the next pap- that's why she said no worries- its been 3 years for me and its still all good! ;) I know A LOT of women this happens to - don't worry about it! How have you been feeling?

Thank you for you reassurances and stories. :)

jaycrew, lately, the best I can do is "not too bad." lol. Yesterday at work my boss asked me if someone gave me a black eye because i was so tired my eyes were swollen and the bags I have are dark. A male cowoker, who knows I'm pregnant, asked if I had been getting sick. I said yeah. He said "It shows!"
I had to give up my shift tonight because I have an enormous hemorrhoid.

But I'm willing to keep on going through it if it mean my little bullet and bean are doing well. My cramps are subsiding and I haven't had any red bleeding, though I'm still spotting brown - but I've been told that is common with twins.

Yes- I had spotting with my twins- just take it easy and just rest whenever you have the opportunity!Congrats again!!!XXXX

i had an abnormal one before then it cleared up but it was abnormal at the beginning of my pregnancy last time around. my dr wasn't concerned as she explained to me that through the birthing process it can clear up the whole thing. mine cleared up after giving birth.

Same here...abnormal at the beginning of pregnancy. I just had my first pap after giving birth (lo is 6 months) and all is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->