Kirima's birth story (diabetic - emergency C-section)

Tanikit

Reaction score
I am a type 1 diabetic so it was decided that I should be induced at 38 weeks partly due to baby size and partly because a diabetic placenta is expected to age sooner than in a normal pregnancy.

The induction started at 04:30am when they inserted a gel and my contractions started within only a few miutes. They told me I was 2cm dilated with my cervix reasonably anterior and that it should be a quick induction. An hour later I was contracting quite hard but hadn't timed anything yet - I had an enema and then could have a shower which actually helped with the contractions - I didn't want to get out of the shower but the contractions were getting a bit rough so I thought I had better.

At 06:30am I phoned my DH and asked him to come in as I was having to stand through all the contractions because it hurt too much to sit down and by then the contractions were only a minute and a half apart and lasting about 30 secs each. The internal showed I was not yet 3cm dilated so I had to wait. I did eventually have some pethidine but it didn't do much.

By then a midwife came in who helped me to breathe through the contractions until I reached about 4cm and then I had an epidural. By about 14:00 I was about 7cm dialted but baby's heart rate dropped severely every contraction and then rose again and while she may have been able to cope a while longer I was also worried about the pushing stage so the doctor advised an emergency C-section and I was taken very quickly to theatre where Kirima was born at 15:03 weighing 3,84kg (about 8 pounds 7 ounces) She scored 9 and 10 on the Apgar so hadn't suffered from the dropping heart rate.

After that I got to hold her briefly after they had checked her out and while they stitched me up and then I got to hold her again as I was wheeled out of teh theatre. I had only had a topped up epidural for the C-section so was able to move slightly even before I was off the theatre table.

They then took her to the nursery to monitor her sugar levels - these went very low - the lowest reading was 0,3 but they battled to get them up on only formula so she was put on a drip in ICU where she stayed for four nights. Despite being given a lot of formula and also being bottle fed she still seemed to prefer the breast and we are successfully exclusively breastfeeding now - the formula was essential to get her sugars stabilised but is no longer needed. Even the nurses commented that it was strange for a baby to like the breast over the bottle - they thought I would have struggled more to get her back to breastfeeding.

She is doing well at home and I am so pleased to have her with me. Will get some photos on here hopefully this evening when I can get DH to help me download them (the cable is missing)

Congratulations hun, its good to read a diabetic story just to prepare incase.
Cant wait to see pictures <3

Congratulations! Mog was bottlefed for 12 hours after her birth when she was in SCBU, but took to the breast brilliantly and we never had any bother with her BFing. It's great when it works out! Sounds like getting her out was exactly the right decision for you at that point, but sorry that you had a bit of a time with it :(

congratulations Tanikit- will look forward to seeing pics.
u always gave me a lot of support in 1st tri and have enjoyed sharing this journey with u

Congratulations again, hope you are settling down at home now are your sugars are becoming more manageable (even with the BF)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->