Labor and Delivery Consultation? Need Advice Please

GradMommy

Reaction score
I'm currently sitting at 6 weeks, but my doctor has scheduled a labor and delivery consultation for the beginning of the second trimester. This isn't a problem, and doesn't concern me at all. I had my DD nearly six years ago at a different hospital, with a different OB. When my current OB got her labor and delivery records he immediately wanted to schedule this appointment to "go through our options." Here's a little background, since he told me to start thinking about options for this birth.

With DD, I started labor four days before I was finally admitted into the hospital, with the last day being HORRIBLE back labor - the only thing that helped was taking a hot bath, laying on the bed, back to the shower, onto a walk and back into the bathtub - repeat for nearly 24 hours. The hospital wouldn't admit me because I wasn't at 3cm yet. Well, when they finally did admit me, my DD went in and out of fetal distress several times, I was prepped for an emergency C-Section TWICE only to have them tell me to stay in a holding pattern. Finally thirteen hours later they had me start to push. Four hours later I'm still pushing, seventeen stitch episiotomy (I was cut halfway up internally down to my perinneum (sp?), OB got out the vaccum only to still be too narrow to get it up to DD's head. She kept "bungee jumping" - come halfway down only to go all the way back up into my spine. Finally when she was born a 10 inch umbilical cord was the culprit of that making it so that the placenta and cord kept pulling her back up. When she was born her head was incredibly misshapen - I was prepared for a little cone head, but hers looked like an Egyptian Nefertiti head if that makes any sense!

So, OB now wants to discuss labor and delivery options. I'm worried their going to recommend a mandatory C-Section, which the complications, recovery, etc worries me greatly, but having another vaginal birth with all the complications I had with DD worries me too.

Anyone else go through something like this? My honest question is, if this was your previous labor experience what would you chose? I guess I'm looking for opinions, honest advice, and experiences.

Thank you so much!

I had a similar experience, my LO went into distress, pushing for 2 hours, shoulder dystoica, episiotomy and a really short cord. She also had a cephalic haematoma that still hasn't complexly gone.

Next time i would refuse a section unless it was needed at the time. No two labours are the same, this one could be a walk in the park.

A very personal decision but for me I'd still try the most natural route I could. I have had a c-section and wouldn't want to have another unless medically necessary. Especially with other children at home to look after while recovering.
Each birth is unique so please don't let the worries from before get to you too much.
maybe you will be more mentally and physically prepared this time.

I'm glad your doctor is taking a interest into it, but it should be your decision at the end.

Maybe look into natural birthing techniques and support the Home and Natural Birthing section on BnB may help, and lots of women will gladly answer questions about anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->