(Lack of) Gallbladder and early pregnancy - (maybe TMI)

Firef1y72

Reaction score
I was just wondering if there was anyone else out there who has had their gallbladder removed and is experiencing anything like I am.

I had mine removed way back in 1992 and have regularly suffered from bouts of bile diarrhea (if you don't know what that is, it involves lots of what feels like battery acid motions). Every pregnancy it seems to flare up in the early months as I produce tonnes of stomach acid as well. In fact I'm in the middle of a flare up right now, which is my own fault for trying to get some milk/dairy into my diet.
If anyone else has this problem, how do you manage to get the equivalent of a pint of milk in your diet without being in agony?

Hi hun. I'm not in exactly the same situation as you but I thought I'd share my story in case it helps.
I still have my gallbladder but I do have gallstone attacks and I'm waiting to get my gallbladder removed. During pregnancy the frequency of my attacks increased up to the point I had 6 separate attacks in 48 hours. :cry:
I saw a dietician, and we devised an eating plan and I'm happy to say that my last attacks were in October, I managed to get through the remainder of my pregnancy pain free. :happydance:
My diet was no fat, no red meat and no dairy. My healthy 7lb 3oz baby boy was born a month ago and at no point in the pregnancy did they have any growth concerns. I was being monitored frequently as I was high risk due to blood pressure issues.
To make sure I was getting enough calcium, I invested in the top of the range Pregnacare Max vitamins. Yes, they are pricey, but I saw it as an investment in both my and my baby's health. The Pregnacare Max range contain 500mg calcium, which is 63% of your RDA. I then got calcium from non dairy sources - mainly figs (also good for constipation!), sesame seeds in stir fries (no oil, I used water and sort of dry fry/steamed them) and broccoli.
Good luck with your pregnancy, I hope you can find relief from your symptoms soon. :flower:

Ask your GP for a fecal elastase test. It'll determine whether or not you have a problem with your pancreas which in turn is causing issues with your ability to digest your food properly.
I have chronic pancreatitis and an inability to go far from the loo in the early stages too, along with a dairy intolerance and stomach spasms.
Hope you're feeling better soon :flower:

I have had problems with dairy intolerance since having my gallbladder out. I get by with lactofree products and low fat foods. If I eat something fatty then I need to accept the consequences which are agonising stomach cramps and diarhoea! And yes it's been worse since falling preggers but actually I feel now as my pregnancy a but further on it is settling a bit again. The acid production is awful though.. And seems nothing helps xxx

Hi I had my gallbladder removed when I was 21. Can you take calcium supplements? Some days I cannot eat anything fatty or any dairy and some days it is fine. But when I have a problem I usually go with calcium chewables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->