Lactose Intolerence

shreedhara12

Reaction score
Hello Mothers,

Its my LOs (25 weeker) 87th day at NICU/SCBU and as it seemed that she would be sent home, she has developed this intolerence to Lactose and this leaves her stomach bloated and hard. Now doctors have prescribed lactose free milk called Isoline (may be its spelt incorrect).

Also her blood gluclose level seems fluctuating and doctors have advised tests before and after feeds. Its really frustrating to still wait after ages of waiting. Did any mother face a situation as this !

:hi: i dont have any expereince with this and i also have a 25 weeker, but i am sure someone on here has expereince and they will share with you

Sorry no experience with this either. I do know a fullterm baby who is lactose intolerant and on special formula which has helped although she is still quite a sicky baby.

Do they think the formula is affecting her glucose levels?

I hope you get some answers soon and can take your lo home.

Update Information

When discussing with the pediatrician i learnt that such circumstance / situation would arise if married within a close knit family i.e. similar DNA structure. But that is not the case with us.

One of the mothers who visits the nursery overheard our conversation and encouraged stating that lactose intolerence is temporary condition and by months LOs would overcome it. Hope it happens soon and she is sent HOME.

Lactose being a compound sugar is difficult to digest, normally our body would produce lactase to break-down lactose and make it easy for digestion. Once this compound sugar is isolated (as in Isoline milk) blood sugar should not fluctuate in principle. Hope thing get better.
Frankly, i had enough of such enlightenment (new things to learn).

if your little one has high sugars it can be cause by diabetes, i have lactose intolerance as a baby and grew out of it in adulthood

It is highly rare that an infant gets diabetes, i am sure it is not that. Avery was nursed until she was about 3 months old, she was bottle fed in the nicu with ebm. i stopped nursing her to go back to work and i put her on the regular formula, she started getting hives,vomiting and massive bms so i switched her to gentle ease formula for upset stomaches and it was the same, so i had to put her on soy based formulas b/c she got so sick. I am thinking the other mother is right. She is just getting bloated from extra gases the change should help some but i believe she will grow out of it too if that is the only problem she has. what has made them check her sugars since you know they are rising and falling, it isn't a routine check up unless you had diabetes while pregnant and sure it would be out of her system by now. congrats on your little one.

Thanks to all mothers,

Since she is on lactose free milk, stomach bloating has subsided. May be she needs to be on it for couple of more months till she tolerates lactose. As of now she is on 3 hourly feed and not on demand feed.

Except for my father, none have diabetes in both sides of the family and neither my wife had diabetes during her pregnancy. Doctors were trying for 4 hourly feed and this picked up. Sole reason seems to be untimely feeds by the nurse who takes care of my daughter. We just want to have our princess home, she was due this week if everything had gone well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->