Ladies, I'm terrified about my upcoming ELCS :(

RandaPanda

Reaction score
Just need to vent, since everyone around me acts like having a c-section is the ideal situation and such a breeze ("you don't even have to do anything!" etc, etc.)

I've just been tidying up the house today, and suddenly started to panic about my section which is booked for 45h39m from now (lol, a little specific!) I am scared for so many reasons. I know that I'm lucky that it's not an emergency one, but I just found out last week that I had to have a section, and it's been hard to come to terms with. I'm really shy and modest, and had been fine with my midwife seeing my body all out and about, but the idea of having an operating room full of people seeing me mostly naked stresses me out. And I'm terrified of both the freezing and the surgery - I know I won't feel anything except pressure until afterwards, but just the thought of the blood and being cut open makes me so nervous. And the thing that gets me the most worked up is that, no matter how much I've tried to convey my wishes, it seems like I'll miss out on the delayed cord cutting and skin to skin, which just makes me burst into tears when I think about it. I read this, and it made me even more nervous :(
https://pregnant.thebump.com/pregna...section-delivery-and-recovery.aspx?MsdVisit=1

I know that once my baby is safely in my arms, these things won't seem so bad, but for the time being, I'm freaking out :cry:

If anyone has words of encouragement or insight, I'd be so appreciative. And thanks for letting me get this off my chest :flower:

I don't have any words of wisdom hun but just wanted to send you massive hugs. Just focus on that moment when you will be able to see your gorgeous baby for the first time xxx

Have they flat out refused delayed cord cutting and skin to skin in the OR? I know some practitioners commonly do delay cutting because it is better for baby and really doesn't delay the rest of the surgery for very long. Maybe ask them their reasoning for not doing it if they've refused, and take along some facts on why it's better to do so to help try to persuade them. I know I didn't get skin to skin in OR, but I didn't really know to discuss it with them beforehand. I will this time. But I was back in my room with DS within about 45 minutes and was able to have skin to skin and start nursing then.

I know it can be a bit frightening thinking about surgery. I was scared before I went in, not knowing what to expect. But really once I was all set up, I couldn't see anything anyway and really didn't think about them cutting.

It's really not that cold in there, at least it wasn't for me. They do try to keep it warmer for baby, plus I know I was cover with blankets except my midsection. And they do try to keep a bit of modesty for you. I was gowned until they started prepping my belly, and really just exposed the area they needed.

I think the best thing is to just not overt think it all(I know easier said than done) Once you hear that first cry, nothing else going on will matter.

Just wanted to send hugs too. I know loads of women have good CS experiences bla, bla, bla.... and and there are lots of other positives I could say. It is true and like you I do know its not the end of the world however I'd be feeling just like you at the moment so I do sympathise. Just punch anyone who says its the easy way out lol! It will probably be better than you expect though and all worth it when you are holding your LO.

As far as delayed cord clamping and skin to skin have you considered really putting your foot down? You could try saying you've decided you won't have the CS if they won't respect your wishes etc. Maybe not worth the battle but they might cave if you make enough fuss about it?

:hugs:

Ask your surgeon on the day hun about delayed cord clamping.. i was told its not done by my consultant.. on the day when the surgeon came to see me she read my birth plan and agreed to it all! They wouldnt do until it stops pulsing but they did 2/3 minutes for me! I was offered baby straight away after hed been cleaned up and they were stitching me up. some wont offer it like youd have it from a natural birth but trust me it feels just as special. And when you get into recovery then you can have your proper skin to skin <3

That article is made for scare mongering hun it really is

There will still be hands on your coochie - Yes they will help you have a wash.. but its just one midwife.. when i was done she had a few cloths and she used to to give me a little clean and put on new pants etc. She was lovely about it too.

You’ll probably get the shakes - its not guarunteed to happen and if it does its really not as bad as they make it out to be. I shook a tiny bit and thats it.

You might feel a little tugging - yep you can feel them tugging but theres no pain involved and its not uncomfortable in the slightest

You will probably be freezing during delivery - wrong, wrong, wrong.. theatre is kept warm because it has to be for the baby. You will not freeze.. i was quite nice and warm

You’ll get a bonus "leg massage" - never had anything like this describes.. i had my sexy pressure socks and thats it.

Stool softeners = your new best friend - some women do need these to help but i didnt and i had no pain at all going to the toilet.

Coughing and sneezing will hurt - its uncomfortable BUT it is after a natural birth too hun. Hug a pillow when it happens or lean forward to lessent he impact on your stomach muscles.

Exercise is everything - true! As soon as you can start wriggling your toes and feet hun. It really does help. I was on my feet a few hours after surgery for a few minutes at a time.. the morning after i needed no help what so ever for anything.

There will be blood - same as a natural

That scar might freak you out (for a little while, anyway) - nothing freaky about it.. they do a really good job. my scar was so neat and tidy and can hardly be seen now.

You may have gas pains -- in your shoulders - i never had anything like this at all

my tips

have a shower the morning after if you can.. youll feel like a new woman :D I certainly did and it put a spring in my step

eat small meals - bg meals are very uncomfortable in your stomach the first couple days

get up and about as soon as you can.. even just a couple minutes stood on your feet will help.. and try remember to wriggle your feet/toes/legs as often as you can as soon as you can feel them.

drink plenty - your catheter wont be removed unless your urine output is high enough so dont make my mistake and hardly drink anything that day.

you may get sick - when i got back on the ward i was quite sick.. i think i filled 5 sick hats :sick: let the midwives know and they can give you an injection to stop it.

and most of all... listen to your body :) It will tell you what it is and isnt ready to do. Keep on top of your pain meds too :)

A c-section can be a magical thing and i absolutely loved mine. It does not take away from how much effort you have made to bringing the life into the world <3 <3

oh and try sleeping propped up a little for the first few days... i found it rather hard getting up if i had laid flat. Try and keep your scar clean and dry as much as possible.. a lot of ladies will put a sanitary pad in front of it to soak up any sweat etc.. and I also cleaned mine 3 times a day and then patted it dry to make sure it was super clean :) xxxx

I have now had two emergency c-sections, which people say are worse than electives. I can honestly say it was fine both times! In a way, it's easier in an emergen as you don't have time to overthink it and get nervous. Plus, at that point the spinal is a massive relief! Other than that, though, an elective is better as you can be relatively well tested beforehand etc.

In terms of the nudity etc, I know it's a cliche, but they really have seen it all before! They'll keep you gowned as much as possible, and put the curtain up so you don't even notice when the embarassing stuff is happening.

I got skin to skin in theatre both times, even though it was emergency. I asked and they were more than happy to accommodate my request. This time, I even fed DD2 in theatre. She was rooting, so I asked for help getting her latched on. They were all delighted we succeeded! It being an emergency, delayed cord clamping wasn't appropriate either time as the baby needed to be checked over urgently both times. If it's important to you, keep asking!

I've been extremely lucky with the recovery both times. This time, I didn't even take a single paracetamol afterwards. I didn't need to! It was sore, and difficult to move around, but by no means unbearable. I was up and about as soon as the catheter was out. I would say now at day 5 I'm about 80% recovered already. My biggest challenge is stopping myself doing too much! Don't believe all the horror stories; it can be absolutely fine.

Good luck, and enjoy!

The thought of a c-section was much more scary than the actual thing for me. I had one EMCS and one ELCS and neither were anywhere near as terrifying as I thought they would be.

The staff all know how nervous you are and they are always so warm and kind. The baby gets taken out before you know it. It happens so quickly. And you should be able to do skin to skin if there is nothing wrong with the baby. Insist on it!

As someone who used to work in surgery, I don't agree with much in that article. I agree with most people one here. That article is meant to scare women away from elcs. The operating room can be cold but you are given warm blankets for your body and are usually numb from spinal shortly after arriving in OR.
you are kept covered as much and as long as possible, your privacy and body is usually shown more respect in the OR than in a natural vaginal as there usually fewer people allowed in OR (doc, assistant, maybe a midwife and an anesthesiologist who will only stay near your head and usually doesn't even like to look over the curtain. Then the baby nurses will come in shortly after you are prepped.)

its really not as bad as you'd think.

I had a lovely heated/electric blanket on me straight after my ELCS. I don't recall feeling cold at any point. I did shiver but not from being cold, just a reaction I think.

I really want to thank you ladies from the bottom of my heart :hugs: Your words and advice really have helped to ease my fears (at least down to a much more manageable level!) Thank you, thank you, thank you to ALL of you, and especially sethsmummy for taking the time to address that scary article in detail and give me some specific tips about after the surgery :flower:

Will be thinking of you, hope it goes well. Just think you'll be meeting your baby soon!

your very very welcome hun! <3 <3 <3 <3

Good luck for your section and i will be thinking of you!! I booked mine today for jan 6th :D cant wait :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->