Ladies that exercise. Advice please.

Angelbaby_01

mommy
Reaction score
Hallo!

I love to go for long walks and always take my toddler along with the jogger. I was 30kg's overweight by the end of my first pregnancy and lost 22kgs. I am determined to not gain that weight again this pregnancy so still exercise everyday. Problem is, we have hills and I notice after walking my abdomen feels "numb" muscles hurt etc. Do you think I should stop walking and get some other method of exercise for now or is it ok?

Also I noticed my heart rate racing? I am scared that it would go too fast and hurt the baby by some way. Any advice would be welcome!

Is there any way you can talk to a doctor? Exercise is wonderful during pregnancy. I notice my heart races so much more easily than it did before, so I've toned down the running to jogging and walking. I haven't had a chance yet to talk to anyone yet so maybe the running is ok?

I read its to go for walks and even lightly jogg unless it's a high risk pregnancy. So I feel fine with walking just scared I am making more trouble with pushing a toddler up a hill.

up until about 8 weeks I was still cycling quite a bit - and yes I noticed my HR was a bit elevated more than normal, mostly I got out of breath so much faster! So I just turned down the intensity. Now it's become too cold (and I got EXHAUSTED for the next few weeks of pregnancy).

As I approach second trimester I am trying to get back in shape - mostly with weight training and walking. OP - I would ask your doc about the numbness but I think the elevated HR is no big deal as long as you remain comfortable (well, "exercise comfortable"). Climbing stairs now I want to pass out! Wish I had kept walking a bit more in the past few weeks - so that's my advice! good luck to you!

Ive read that whatever excersize you were doing you should be able to continue, but no starting new hardcore if you know what i mean? I use a dutch bakfiets (heavy tricycle type bike wi a wooden box on it that can carry four kids) and i know i can continue with that as well as walks or whatever :) but like the others have said always check woth a doc

Hey Celine I see you are also in the Netherlands! Whereabouts?

Angelbaby, you should be fine to continue whatever excersize you did before pregnancy, but listen to your body! Take it slow where you have to, but do not quit as excersize is so bennificial during pregnancy!

Hey Celine I see you are also in the Netherlands! Whereabouts?

Angelbaby, you should be fine to continue whatever excersize you did before pregnancy, but listen to your body! Take it slow where you have to, but do not quit as excersize is so bennificial during pregnancy!

Hi im near amsterdam :)
Btw i myself was born with a cleft lip & palate!

Thank you ladies. I think I should walk on a monday and tuesday use my orbitrek and so forth for the week and on weekends rest. I really don't want to stop and would like to keep fit and healthy. I just notice my face turning bright red, but breathing still fine when I exercise.

I got the symptoms you describe when I hadn't jogged in a while, but they lasted only 1-2 days.

I haven't had an issue with walking or light bicycling. I would definitely talk to a doctor.

It can take some time for your body to adjust to the new blood/oxygen circulation demand. I ran quite religiously through my first pregnancy; I was an extreme distance runner pre-pregnancy, slowly brought it down during the first pregnancy (to about 20-30 miles per week during 3rd tri), and picked it back up post-partum (up to about 60 miles per week by 9mo post partum). If you were doing it before conception, you should be fine doing it after. My rule of thumb is not to get too out of breath, which is going to be different for every person and will probably vary through the course of the pregnancy as well. I found I got out of breath much more quickly during my first trimester than the majority of my second tri, for example. If you start to get near your limit and you're doing an activity that's familiar to you, your body will clearly tell you to stop-- you can feel the difference in your body's response to the exertion. It's only when you ignore your body and push through (which is generally what you aim to do when you're not pregnant, lol) that you run into problems during a pregnancy. I've definitely noticed my core muscles respond differently to exercise after my first pregnancy. My first pregnancy symptom was the inability to complete my normal runs comfortably-- for both pregnancies, but moreso for this one.

Thank you mommyjogger.

I did this for the past two years and it feel more like muscles pulling than anything else and I find I need kind of support with my core muscles since it feels strange. I had a c-section with DD so think it could be part of the reason. I did notice I need to walk shorter distances though so will keep it at that until I feel more comfortable again.

Hey angel actually I've noticed I have more air than I did even a week ago and definitely more that I was at +/- 4 weeks so it might improve.

Jogger, thanks very much for that input! It's great to have hope that I can get back into my running. I've missed it and it's nice to know there's hope for feeling not so breathless!

When I asked my doc about this as I had just started a fairly intense workout program before I found out I was pregnant...he pretty much told me to first and foremost listen to your body. He said that as long as you are doing things that your body is already used to, you might notice it become a bit more difficult, but ultimately it's not going to hurt anything! In my first few weeks pregnant I was so utterly exhausted I couldn't even think about working out. Then began the nausea and extreme sensitivity to smells...so much so that the smell of the gym would cause me to almost run to the toilet...talk about embarrassing!!! So I pretty much decided to go only when I feel a little less nausea (which tends to be in the evenings) and power through on either the elliptical or treadmill for 45 mins to an hour. I actually feel better after I force myself to go and know in the long run it's really really good for me and baby! So I would say just know your limits and realize that after a csection you will probably notice things that before you might not have! OH and my doc said for my age (31) to keep my heart rate in the 135-145 range.

Thank you mommyjogger.

I did this for the past two years and it feel more like muscles pulling than anything else and I find I need kind of support with my core muscles since it feels strange. I had a c-section with DD so think it could be part of the reason. I did notice I need to walk shorter distances though so will keep it at that until I feel more comfortable again.

Have you considered practicing belly binding with this pregnancy? I had an abdominal separation and back pain with my first and I'll be using this technique to help support those muscles this time around. I imagine it would be even more useful during exercise.
https://resources.thefeministbreede...ort/belly-bindin-for-pregnancy-labor-support/

Thank you mommyjogger for reassuring me I wouldn't be stupid by doing it this early. I have a belly band for this purpose, but thought I'd be silly to use it this early on, but really need support now.

Hi,
I'm a yoga instructor and run 2-3 miles every day and have tried to keep up exercise since I found out I'm pregnant ten days ago...I've had similar issues, I definitely feel weaker and get tired more easily. My doctor suggested frequent water breaks and if you're not feeling comfortable with walking-stop! Try out a prenatal workout video online or if you have access to a pool, swimming is completely safe for you and the baby. I plan to swim instead of jog soon. Good luck!

I've noticed at the gym that my heart rate is higher than usual but I believe our basic heart rates are elevated during pregnancy - the PTs at my gym told me that the machines aren't all that accurate, as long as I feel okay then it shouldn't be an issue and it's best to judge it on RPE.

I can't imagine not exercising!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"