Laying out by the pool while pregnant?

sandandsun

Reaction score
Ok, nervous mom-to-be here. I feel like I'm always worried about something since I'm in my first trimester (7 weeks pregnant).

My ob/gyn said it was fine to be out in the sun once in awhile, as long as I use sunscreen and stay hydrated. I live in Florida, and while I've obviously changed a lot of my outdoor habits since becoming pregnant, I still love reading a good book by the pool.

I decided to lay out for no more than 30 min. at 4:30 p.m. today when it wasn't as hot and kept water next to me. Well, I lost track of time and ended up being out there for about an hour or so. I felt pretty comfortable most of the time (wasn't sweating and there was a slight breeze), but my skin did feel warm. Now I'm worried sick about overheating and harm to the baby.

I will definitely NEVER lay out in the sun that long again, and I'm afraid to do it at all now. Do you think I could have harmed the baby after an hour in the sun? :( I feel terrible and selfish.

Honestly I layed out in the sun for around a hour at around 12 weeks pregnant. (Louisiana weather here!) And she seems just fine. As the weather becomes more intense, I stopped. It seems to reach 90 by 9 a.m. now.

I would still consult a professional if you want the best advice.

I would think that our bodies do a great job of protecting our little ones. The concern with laying out is to protect your own self. Use sunscreen, stay hydrated, don't wait until you feel overheated, etc. I would think if you stick to that, your bubba would be nice and cozy!

I'm a sun lover.

The reason I've been told to limit or avoid prolonged exposure to the sun is the same reason we are told to avoid fever, hot tubs and hot baths... Raising core body temperature can cause spinal development issues.

That being said, moderation is likely key. Try not to allow yourself to get too hot.

I wouldn't stress it, there are countires where women are out in the sun all day long and have healthy babies

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I love this forum because everyone replies so quickly - which is great for support and calming my worries!

I'm definitely not going to be out that long again in the sun. This might make me sound crazy, but I honestly did not think that laying out for 45 min or so (as long as I was drinking water and not feeling super hot) would be an issue. I usually only do this once/week. I'm going to stick with once a week and not allow myself to stay out longer than 20 min. in the future.

I typically don't let myself get too hot and from what my hubby has said, I would know if I was overheated (sweating, dizzy, etc.). I sometimes feel like I live in a different country's climate, considering I live in the north part of south Florida. I know what being too hot feels like, and even when I wasn't pregnant, I would go back inside after just 15-20 minutes if I felt too warm. Trying to relax and be rational about this, hoping I did no harm....

You did no harm!!

Honestly it's important to get some Vitamin D too!!

I wouldn't personally spend more than an hour in the sun even when not pregnant but I'm fair, get chloasma and just plain get too hot - however I went on a babymoon to Sicily with OH when we were expecting DD and I found my body pretty much told me when I'd had enough sun, I'd just feel like I'd had enough (usually after 30 mins) and I'd move from the sun by the pool to the shade with a book and water... My daughter is just fine!! If you felt fine, hydrated and comfortable, I really wouldn't worry xx

Thank you for the reassurance. I really do try to listen to my body and I can't imagine that I was out long enough to reach a temp of 102 (where it starts to get dangerous). I would have been really uncomfortable and I felt fine. I have a high tolerance for heat from living in FL and I do not burn unless I'm out for a long time.

Just going to play it safe until after the first trimester.

I swim laps in the full sun almost everyday and as you can see also live in Florida. I also garden and walk on the beach (sometimes in the same day) etc and this baby has had no issues whatsoever. As a pp said humans are designed to be in the sun and be able to gestate as well without dire consequences lol. I don't suggest sweating in the sun for hours while sipping a margarita by any means but take breaks (dip in the pool to lower your temp!) and stay hydrated and you will be fine momma. I just got back inside from floating on my raft for a couple of hours in my pool this morning and it was wonderful! At this point the pool is the only place I feel normal sans a little gravity lol.

That's great to hear! Were you outdoors a lot during your first trimester, as well?

It's hard to know what's "too much" when you live in a place like Florida, can be outdoors all year, and have your own pool! I just need to listen to my body. I would hate to spend this whole summer completely indoors. Luckily, the weather is just gorgeous after 6 pm. Not too hot, not too cool. Perfect for walking. :)

That's great to hear! Were you outdoors a lot during your first trimester, as well?

It's hard to know what's "too much" when you live in a place like Florida, can be outdoors all year, and have your own pool! I just need to listen to my body. I would hate to spend this whole summer completely indoors. Luckily, the weather is just gorgeous after 6 pm. Not too hot, not too cool. Perfect for walking. :)

Yes I spend a lot of time outdoors and really think the extra vitamin D has helped this pregnancy from the get go (me and baby). I think the key is that if you feel uncomfortably hot then your baby is likely to as well. I always kept water with me and just didn't overdo it. I also have issues with the chemicals in sunscreen so I always carried a light weight layer of clothing and a hat so when I reached my sun exposure max I could just cover up instead of putting on nasty chemicals. To each their own on that but a sunburn should be avoided either way of course.

I really think swimming is amazing while pregnant and it has helped me to maintain energy and upped my general well being. If I'd been pregnant through the peak summer months like you will be I probably wouldn't have left the water lol. Happy and healthy rest of your pregnancy!

Thank you! Yes, it's starting to get SO HOT, as you know. At least I'm early in pregnancy and not really big yet!! I can't even imagine. I will be spending lots of time in the pool. :)

I am a pool rat! For the last month I have been to the pool 4 times a week at least for at least 3-4 hours a day. Dont worry about it :) Just drink your water and if you feel overheated go inside. My dr always says: If you feel sick, DRINK MORE WATER.

I'm actually on holiday right now and have been sunbathing, then sitting in the shade when I get too hot, then getting in the pool :) I also went on holiday around the same time in pregnancy with my first daughter, I did the same thing and she is okay.

Hello Fellow Floridian! :flower:

I honestly never thought about it when I was pregnant with DD. I used sunscreen but DH and I hate being inside. We were always at the beach, going on walks, out to the park, etc. and I had a healthy 8lb 4oz baby girl. I think maybe if you lived in Alaska your whole life and then suddenly moved down to Florida, I'd be a little more concerned, but we're pretty acclimated to the climate here and I think our bodies can handle it a little better. Take a dip in the pool every 20-30 mins to cool off! We have a pool also and it is a LIFESAVER during the summer. As long as you stay hydrated and don't overexert yourself, you and baby should be fine! :thumbup:

Thanks for the reassurance (and letting me know I'm not alone!), everyone. Makes me feel so much better. :)

Definitely not going to abandon the sun/pool this summer...just stay very hydrated and hop in the pool when I feel too warm!

ajlj1126, I live in the Bradenton-Sarasota area. I see you're in Clearwater! We're entering our super hot time now, but gotta love FL! :) My husband and I also LOVE being outdoors. How can you stay indoors when it's always so beautiful and sunny, right?

Thanks for the reassurance (and letting me know I'm not alone!), everyone. Makes me feel so much better. :)

Definitely not going to abandon the sun/pool this summer...just stay very hydrated and hop in the pool when I feel too warm!

ajlj1126, I live in the Bradenton-Sarasota area. I see you're in Clearwater! We're entering our super hot time now, but gotta love FL! :) My husband and I also LOVE being outdoors. How can you stay indoors when it's always so beautiful and sunny, right?

:haha:Agreed! If we wanted to be indoorsy people we'd move somewhere cooler. My husband and I take a fishing trip every once in a while to Ruskin, but I don't think we've ever been to Sarasota. I heard it's beautiful! And we love driving over the Sunshine Skyway. :)

My OB has told me being outdoors is fine as long as it doesn't hit over 100 degrees. Make sure to use sun screen because you're more prone to getting freckles from the sun when pregnant (at least that's what she told me). I love laying out in the pool!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->