Lazy or poor head control?

MEPride

Reaction score
My 7 week old (4 weeks adjusted) can hold her head up and turn when resting over our shoulders. She can also somewhat hold her head up (a bit wobbly) when we sit her on our knee and she is upright. But when we lie her on her tummy she either isn't interested or doesn't have the control, not sure which. I've seen her lift her head and chest a few times while on her tummy, but so inconsistently. Should I be concerned? What could your lo's do at this age?

I was worried about Niko too. He holds his head up brilliantly when sat upright but on his tummy it was almost like he couldn’t get the strength to lift it and only held it slightly off the ground. It’s only been the last 2 weeks or so that he has actually bothered to lift up when on his tummy and even now it’s only if he feels like it, otherwise he will just suck the floor.
He sits and looks around with fab head control now otherwise so I think it’s just that he’s not interested in tummy time and can’t be bothered. X

I was worried about Niko too. He holds his head up brilliantly when sat upright but on his tummy it was almost like he couldn’t get the strength to lift it and only held it slightly off the ground. It’s only been the last 2 weeks or so that he has actually bothered to lift up when on his tummy and even now it’s only if he feels like it, otherwise he will just suck the floor.
He sits and looks around with fab head control now otherwise so I think it’s just that he’s not interested in tummy time and can’t be bothered. X

That sounds like my lo. We tried tummy time two times today. The first time she could barely lift her head (or was too tired or just not interested... who knows...) and the second time she lifted her head and chest. She has the strength, I just don't think she wants to.

Do you hold her a lot on your chest when you're lying down or in a semi-reclined position? This is considered a form of tummy time which babies much prefer. Both of mine have always been much more eager to try and done much better as young babies while having a warm cuddly time close to me and able to lift their heads up to see my face (though goodness knows why they would want to :haha:).

My son is 7 weeks and holds his head pretty well. He doesn't try to lift his head off his playmat much when he's on his front but I'm not worried. It's probably a bit of a lack of muscle strength (normal) and still developing vision. They can't see too much still at this stage. When strength and vision improve some lifting their heads up will be more appealing I think!

My second wouldn't do it on her tummy for months, she just hated being in that position (due to a big belly that she rolled about on... :haha: ) so hardly bothered but my son was doing it at 5 weeks old, they were just different and my youngest had no problem holding her head in other positions. I wouldn't be too worried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->