Leaking like a tap-need help with baby too!!

elle86

Reaction score
My baby is 5 days old and my milk came in at around 2-3 days. It's causing an extremely fast flow that baby seems to have trouble with. My shirt was soaking in a few minutes when I forgot to put pads on and I've had to change them regularly. Also suffering pain and major engorgement :-/

He has been regurgitating large amounts a little after a feed and has had massive poops and seems to be unsettled a lot before he is able to pass a movement.

Also worried because he makes squeaking and wheezing noises during a feed :-(
Please help me !!

Keep a cloth next to you and when you feel your let down coming pull away and put the cloth ob your breast until the flow slows down then give back to LO. That might also help with the poops and spitting up. As for engorgement you can hand express in the shower and massage and hand express into a warm cloth. All of that will eventually settle so don't let it discourage you!

Oh and make sure you burp him often and the wheezing and noise making I believe is normal my daughter used to make wheezy and squealy noises during feeds now she's silent.

Thank you- What does the let down feel like? Sometimes i don't realize it's happening. I have tried expressing a little before a feed but he seems to still regurgitate a lot. I have been expressing in the shower aswell. How long does the strong flow last?

That's a relief about the wheezing squeAking- is there any good ways for burping? We have been sitting baby upright and rubbing patting his back but it seems to take some time to be effective

Sounds like you're doing amazing! How much would you say he's spitting up? 1 teaspoon, 1 tablespoon etc??

Worth keeping an eye on it just in case he has a bit of reflux, but he's obvs getting enough if hes having lots of poopy nappies! Plus if you're having a fast let down hes probably getting too much in one go! I wouldn't worry, I used to have fast let down and LO would cough lol. Went way after a few weeks tho.

Agree with the pp advice :)

Just to chime in.

I couldn't feel my let down until about 3 weeks. You won't mistake it once it starts!!

I had exactly this but baby dies get used to it eventually Hun. X

Let down feels like a tingling in your breast but some woman don't feel it. You can also tell when it happens if suddenly your LO is taking huge gulps and possibly choking down your milk..I still have a bit of fast flow on my left side but LO is used to it now. I always sat LO up on my lap or over my shoulder but when that didn't work I would set her in between my legs and have her tummy resting on one leg while using one hand to support her head and the other to pat and rub her back it was the most effective for her. If the spitting up does turn out to be reflux then sitting LO upright after feeds for awhile (my LO nurses to sleep so I would lay her on my chest with me sitting upright) will help things stay down. You can ask Los doctor about reflux and they can help figure out if that's why he is spitting up a lot.

Thank you all! He is spitting up maybe a teaspoon but for some reason it occurs more at night time... It seems to be slowly decreasing but we still have a bit of fussiness after a feed when burping. DH is much better at burping him than me!

He has been sleeping for aroun four hours then wanting a feed but at night he can stretch this longer and I wake up with extremely engorged breasts :-/ I've stood over the sink and let them flow out for a few minutes before feeding to see if it helps. Has anyone tried expressing a feeding by bottle to handle the flow or would that take us backwards? ( I'm happy to continue breast feeding! Just thought it mightbe better if he wasn't suffering to keep up..)

I'm happy to keep trying if the milk slows down soon!

It might help so he can have a slower flow, but as he's very young he may get confused and it may affect his latch. However my LO was given a bottle of expressed milk within her first week and she was fine (tho I was using nipple shields at the time) fussiness in the evening could be the start of colic so keep an eye in case you need some colic medication but babies can get fussy in the evening anyway. Alice used to fuss at the boob and strain and cry which eventually got worse as it turned to colic. She's fine now tho....it does pass believe me!

Also I would feed him more during the night. Your milk production occurs mainly at night and until your feeding is established (around 4 weeks) then I would still get him to feed (if he will, don't force him) during the night.

Thankyou :) He dosent have any problems latching or being interested- just after the feed he becomes fussy and it always much worse at night!
I do give him a dummy/ pacifier to settle him but he dosent need it to sleep. I keep waking up wet- soaked through my breast pads and through my bra :-( I hope that goes away soon!

Definitely try to get him to feed more at night..all the ups and downs in your supply will usually settle after 6 weeks just hang in there and try to resist the bottles if you can unless you want a bottle to be a regular thing in the future then it wouldn't hurt to give him one a day every other day but I would wait to do that until close to 6 weeks. I gave my LO a bottle or 2 here and there from 3-6 weeks and she took to it fine and it didn't mess her latch up but I rarely gave her any bottles.

I wouldn't start pumping as it can cause you more supply issues. If you are engorged just manually express till the pressure is releaved. Don't pump a full feed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->