Learning to read with speech delay

lindblum

3 girls + 1 on the way
Reaction score
My child is starting to school this September and I am trying to giver her a boost by teaching her phonics. It has been nearly a week and she has learnt to recognise a and b and their correct sounds. I don't want to push her beyond her limits and put her off.
Does having speech delay make it harder to learn to read?

She is 4yrs and 9 months, and in my non-expert opinion has the speech level of a 3yr old. She can't sing the alphabet song, after abcdefg it's just gibberish.

Having a speech delay should not make learning to read any harder - in actual fact speech delays are often helped by learning to read (along with other speech therapy). If you want to teach phonics perhaps just stick to teaching the letter sounds and forget the letter names as it is the sounds that are most important for reading and if she gets these down it should help a lot. Why is she speech delayed - do you know? As some things that cause a speech delay can also cause problems with reading (it is not the speech delay itself but rather the cause of the speech delay then that can hamper the reading)

Imogen doesn't talk hardly at all (though she's a bit younger) but she can read letters and reading the letters really helped her say them. So her alphabet is pretty clear now, and she has some phonics DVDs which she's obsessed with. She certainly picked up some good words from them too, so I'm hoping that it will help her speech.

Tanikit - i do not know why she is speech delayed. yes, i am stikcing to sounds rather than letter names.

aunty e, that's really impressive, my child showed absolutely no interest in reading or letters at that age. I hope it does give your child a big boost in speech.
I hope my daughter can do just as well, I am aiming for at least half the alphabet by September. So far she can recognise and correctly sound a, b, c and d. I'm pleased with that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->