#lettoysbetoys, #letclothesbeclothes etc - Saying no to gender stereotypes

Guys I'm loving your posts. I spotted Micah back when I was TTC and I always hoped my child would look that cool! He's got style! Love your babies names too, congrats on Juniper, what an absolute beauty she is.

I find the 'sissy' comment heartbreaking. I was in Smyths the other day and saw a little boy of about 4 begging for a doll. 'What's the problem? ' he asked his mum. 'It's for girls that's the problem' his mum replied, dragging him away towards the 'boy' aisle. I wanted to buy it for him! People are ridiculous!

Zach has been having a very tough time the last few days with a cold and constant tantrums. During one episode yesterday I just slumped in the corner on the kitchen floor, exhausted. Once the meltdown died down he picked up a wooden spoon, approached me and put it to my mouth. He never does that, he's precious about sharing food. I was so touched he displayed empathy like that and very proud of my big boy

My DS loved vacuuming when he was two - when santa was bringing his friends toy vacuum cleaners 'he' decided to bring DS a cheap working one - why not take advantage of his cleaning bug! He is 6 now and still enjoys helping out when the vac is out - although yesterday it was more of a robot to him and didn't really manage any cleaning.

We have tired to avoid all gender steriotypes since my daughters were young babies, we had pink but we also had every other colour, cars, dinosaurs etc. Bedrooms were jungle theme and woodland theme.

As they got bigger we kept things mixed up so they had the dolls, prams etc but also balls, cars, trucks, dinosaurs. Avoided princesses and dressing up because it was pretty.

Now my eldest is at pre school she has started becoming more 'girly' saying things are only for boys or it's a boy colour. I tell her that's not the case but it is hard when she seems so set on it.

She also wants to dress up as a princess which is fine as long as she knows girls can dress up a small other things too (she was a a builder this morning)

I know her pre school doesn't encourage the stereotype but I guess it doesn't stop it either....she still likes cars though which is cool!

So I knew I might get a few comments about my son dressing as a witch for Halloween...but whoah!!! SO many! And then they kept saying oh, he's a warlock because he's a boy. I said no, my boy wanted to be a witch so that's what he is!!! Then a lot of people saying her/she which i guessed would happen, but poor kid kept having to say no I'm a witch, and I'm a boy!

My DD wanted toy story pyjamas and they were in the 'boys" section. We got them..but why dont they just have clothes all mixed together?

Fxmummyduck.....my boy was also a witch! He is in to Room on the broom and witches in general. We didn't go trick or treating this year. He's still only little so no comments but I love that he wanted to be a witch. My sister asked if we wanted to borrow one of her sons boys costumes though! 'No, you're alright thanks! He wants to be a witch!'

Jumping In, definitely get the IKEA kitchen, my son LOVES his! I bought the soft play food they do there, so it's great, can just throw in the washing machine if they end up messy!
He's also got a tea set to go with it. But at the same time, hes got a train set (ALDI have a wooden train set like Brio for only £15, its actually a decent size and really good for the price, you can put batteries in the train! Great Christmas present! Or if youre after something a bit bigger, go to John Lewis, fraction of the cost of Brio) and our friend bought our son a tool station for his birthday. He loves everything, and I love that! He loved pushing his teddys in a childs size pram!

I'd rather them like a bit of everything, especially at this age, and then they can decide what they love the most!
I also love Zara clothing, I feel a lot of the items are awesome for both genders! All great quality for the price!

Fxmummyduck.....my boy was also a witch! He is in to Room on the broom and witches in general. We didn't go trick or treating this year. He's still only little so no comments but I love that he wanted to be a witch. My sister asked if we wanted to borrow one of her sons boys costumes though! 'No, you're alright thanks! He wants to be a witch!'

Ds loves Room on the Broom! I thought it was so cute he wanted to be a witch, I guess not everyone feels the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->