Levothyroxine/hypothyroidism, dizzy spells?

TTCabundle

Reaction score
I found out I am hypothyroid about 6 weeks ago and my gp put me on 100mcgs of levothyroxine daily, about 3 weeks into taking it, I started getting dizzy spells, and I still get them now daily! Could this be a side effect to the meds? Or.my body getting used to it?

I also have an anxiety disorder so the dizziness is making me panic so much :(

I'm not 100% but I know when MIL started taking this she suffered too, and felt worse for a while!! I think it wore off after a couple months though.

Sorry I have no better advice!

xo

I found out I am hypothyroid about 6 weeks ago and my gp put me on 100mcgs of levothyroxine daily, about 3 weeks into taking it, I started getting dizzy spells, and I still get them now daily! Could this be a side effect to the meds? Or.my body getting used to it?

I also have an anxiety disorder so the dizziness is making me panic so much :(

What were your symptoms ? I'm wondering if I have a problem with mine although I can tick boxes on both under and over active. The strangest thing is that I've got a weird feeling in my throat all the time, not like something's stuck but something's there.. Can't quite explain it! I've not bothered seeing a doctor as I just stick my head in the sand with stuff but I've had heart palpitations for a while and there's getting a little worse now!

Id definitely get it checked out hun, it can probably be easily treated!

My symtoms are.

Fatigue
Nausea
Dizzyness
Irregular AFs
Anxiety
Heart palps
Weight gain

the list is endless haha! Some kf the symptoms I have are of hyperthyroidism but im definitely hypo! What symptoms are you having? x

When are you due a blood test? Were you weaned onto it at all?

Usual procedure is to start you at 50mcg as the side-effects of going onto the meds can be quite bad (dizzy spells are one of them). However, if you're due a blood test soon - you should have one every 6-8weeks to begin with until you're on a stable dose - then you'll be able to see if the dose has helped or not.

It's very possible that putting you straight onto 100mcg has sent you from hypo to hyper so the palpitations and dizziness could be linked with that.

You need to go back to the Dr's and get a follow up.

ETA: I'm hypo, have been for 4 years now. I'm used to the symptoms now but the fluctuate all the time and you need to be your own advocate and ask your Dr for help. I'm on an almost complete replacement dose as my thyroid is virtually inactive. I'm on 125mcg a day, and it took my Docs nearly 6m to wean me up to this dose, starting at 50mcg and increasing at 25mcg increments.

Thankyou :)

Im back on the 17th for a blood testm I go every 8 weeks, im guessing it will take a while before I start feeling better. I wasnt weaned onto it, he just started me straight away on 100mcgs x

That totally makes sense, I may possibly need a lower dose. Mt TSH wasn't extremely high, it was 9.2 so theres a possibility im taking too much I suppose x

I was overactive from 4 then had 99% of my thyroid removed at 10 making me underactive. I've always had dizziness with it despite for changes and checks, although it can be a sign of anaemia and bp issues.

I haven't had any dizzy spells yet. I agree that you may be on the wrong dosage or got on it too fast. That's just my guess though. I am hypothyroid, started around 18 TSH I think. Found out because my son's TSH was high at birth. I started on 75mcg then 88 and now 112, but it may still need to go up. It's been about a year now and it's still not right because my doctor passed away suddenly and there's not enough doctors here to treat it. It takes a long time to get an appointment. :(

i agree with that sounds alot to start you off with! i started at 25mg- i need a blood test soon and i think they will up it as i'm feeling pants again x

Hope you feel better soon Scally!

I had my blood test today so should find out whats going on soon!
He originally wanted me on 75mcgs but they weren't available so he just put me on 100mcgs!

If they weren't available why didn't he give you 50s and 25s. He sounds pretty rubbish.

If they weren't available why didn't he give you 50s and 25s. He sounds pretty rubbish.

Apparently they can't do that, I have no idea why! Its ridiculous, thankfully he is leaving soon and we will be having a new doctor, I hope shes better than him!

My drs always have, how strange. Fingers crossed she's better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->