Lightening Crotch

redneckhippy

Reaction score
I've heard it referenced before and I think I might be experiencing it. It's not all the time, but if I try to jog (I've been running throughout my pregnancy up until lightening crotch struck a few days ago) I get a stabbing pain on the inside of my crotch. Is this lightening crotch? I was going to give running another try today because it's my sanity, but I did a practice jog down the hallways and got that stabbing pain right away. Does anyone else get this or know what's causing it? I see my doctor again next Friday, but I'm guess this means it's time to put away my running shoes for the remainder of the pregnancy.

I've had occasional lightning crotch since the late first trimester, mostly when I can tell baby is riding low. The theory I've read is that lightning crotch is baby kicking or hitting a nerve. I think the name is pretty apt, so if it feels like a little sudden bolt of crotch electricity that goes away quickly, that's probably it. I bet the jogging is making baby hit a nerve. Lightning crotch itself isn't dangerous, just really annoying, but if it's making jogging uncomfortable, I wouldn't blame you for stopping. Maybe check in with your doctor just in case.

I'm not sure how far along you are, but mine has gotten worse the more pregnant I become, and I know what you mean. It happened frequently when I would take long walks or physically exert myself but now it just happens even if I'm just sitting. I'm currently 35.5 and I just chatted with my doctor today about "lightening crotch" and she says it is perfectly normal and occurs as baby settles down lower and lower. I've had occasional bouts of it for the past month of so, along with pains shooting down my butt and inner thighs. Evidently this is normal and even more so for subsequent pregnancies (this is number two for me) since your body stretches out so easily. I was told that there really isn't much you can do about it, but she did advise me to avoid carrying heavy things or anything if you don't have something to hold on to in case you get a jolt. In the past week I've had a few that have felt like something is tearing me like a zipper made of knives! No fun, but it is a nice excuse to rest!

I get mine when I go up 2 flights of stairs, carry heavy stuff, as well as randomly. It sometimes has me doubled over or needing to breath it away.
Obviously I can't stop using my stairs but if you get it every time you jog or run maybe you could swap to a brisk walk instead.
Xx

I'm almost the same as you. I will be 36 weeks on Sunday. I also find it's worse if I have to pee at all (which is pretty much 100% of the time). At this point even if I just barely have to pee it's like I haven't peed in a week and it's so painful just to get up the stairs to the bathroom (oh yeah, stairs also activate lightening crotch!)

My braxton hicks are bad if I get a full bladder and then it's double agony getting up the stairs as it also sets off round ligament pain.
When you pee have you tried leaning forwards and rocking back and getting off and sitting back down? I find I can get three times as much out that way :haha:
Xx

I didn't know there was a term for this. This happened to me one night while I was sleepingwhen I waas about 13 weeks. The pain was enough to wake me up, but not cause me to worry. It was a stabbing, annoying pain. Ha, glad to know it is quite normal!

Sorry to say, but it just gets more frequent the further along you get (in most cases). At 37+5 I have lightning crotch mostly whenever I walk at all, even sometimes when I'm just sitting. It's no fun, but alas the joys of pregnancy lol.

I remember telling my husband " it feels like I am being electrocuted in my vagina!!" it is such a strange feeling- I didn't start getting this about 34 weeks I'd say- dr said its just baby's head on my cervix/nerves.

Oh the joys of pregnancy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"