Limiting screen time?

Kess

Reaction score
I remember a thread AGES ago in which some people mentioned they limited the time their LOs watched TV. Does anyone have any research or scientific evidence that TV has negative effects? Would anyone please tell me their reasons for limiting TV?

I was telling my Mom that I was tempted to get rid of our TV when LO is older and just have DVDs so I don't have to have battles (that my Mom has had with her foster kids all the time) about what is too much TV and I don't have to worry about supervising what he watches etc and he learns to entertain himself in a less passive way, but Mom told me that would be cruel as he'd be missing out on some common ground to chat to other DCs about - TV shows they both like/watch. Does anyone who limits their kids TV have anything they can tell me about the reality of this?

Try googling, 'TV and short attention spans' and the first result will mention something about how 'inadequate' TV programming can result in children having short attention spans. Can't remember where I read it, some newspaper article I think, but it was saying that if your kids are watching educational or thought-provoking and age relevant programmes then it's okay. For the under-5's they suggested a max. of 2 hours of quality children's programs per day.
Another thing I read ages ago concerned the number of times the screen flicks from picture to picture, how it's within every 8 seconds and how that can cause short attention spanning due to the brain being wired to receive new interesting/exciting info every few seconds. So when it comes to sitting in a classroom and listening to the teacher talking it can seem monotonous to young brains these days.

I let my DD watch kids' shows and probably a bit too much sometimes, esp. on the weekend or when I'm getting dinner ready. But I've always been a bit mindful about what she watches so she doesn't see violence or raunchy stuff and like your mum/mom said I think it's important that kids can bond over shared cultural influences like The Simpsons and shows that are universal. I've met kids who never had a TV because their folks were against them and their kids didn't fit in very well at school because they just didn't 'get' a lot of cultural references and slang etc.
Wow, what a ramble! Sorry :S

https://www.health.gov.au/internet/...t/health-pubhlth-strateg-active-recommend.htm
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/au...hildren-of-sleep/story-e6frgakx-1226068255538

Some links from Australia. It's well known that TV is bad. I read that your brain is more active when you're asleep than when watching TV! I don't have kids yet, but OH and I probably watch about 1 hour of TV a month at other peoples' houses and 3 hours of TV/movies on DVDs a week. So I won't want my kids to watch any more than this. Once they get to school age, though, I would let them a little bit more because I don't want them to feel left out. Maybe 1 hour a day. Don't forget screen time includes computers/phones. We don't really watch TV but I spend hours and hours on the net and I know it's bad for me [but I reason I have to do as much research as possible because I won't be able to when I have a LO ;)] and it's very hard to stop. This addictive behaviour can be seen in the 2 yo LO I care for at work- she's ADDICTED to her mom's iPhone and throws tantrums over it, despite the mom only letting her use it about 10 mins a day. It's a slippery slope.

As I said, we don't watch aired TV, we just keep the shows we like [there's only 2 or 3 or them :haha:] on DVD and watch that whenever we want to and there's no ads and it takes up less time. Same goes for movies. Our faves are on DVDs. It is my personal opinion that kids' shows have no value and kids could be better off spending time playing outside or listening to music.

Anyway, that's my thoughts [a bit all over the place, sorry], so I hope this helps.

We don't have TV. We just watch DVDs and some shows online. I know that there been some major studies at our local university showing the negative effects of TV on very young children.
https://depts.washington.edu/tvhealth/television_children.htm

My main reason for not having a TV is that there are so many better things to do with our time. My OH and I decided that we really wanted our kids to look back on their childhood and remember doing lots of fun things together as a family. I'm not saying that you need to get rid of your TV to do that, but we don't see a reason to have one.

My kids are pretty clueless about the shows that their friends are talking about, but they don't feel like they are missing out-- they just think it is boring when people talk about TV programs. Can't say I disagree with them!

I have made to choice to limit tv based on my own experience.
My DS is a nightmare behaviour wise if he's been watching the wrong kind of tv. We limit his tv to various things like postman pat, the wombles, koala brothers etc. most other children's tv gets him over excited and unable to control himself properly.

He watches very little that his friends at school watch but he's still able to talk to them about it. He tells be regulary that they have been playing Harry potter, star wars or spiderman-and he's never seen any of them!

I set a specific time for television in our house and it's simply not allowed on before then. It is harder sometimes to make myself come up with other activities but in general my son will ALWAYS prefer the activity to the television.

Eg we went to the library earlier and he chose a children's DVD and of course wanted to watch it straight away.

I told him he could watch it after four o clock. His first response was a whine followed by pleasure that we would do some craft activity this afternoon instead of TV.

He is of course now watching the TV but he is passive, not engaging with the dogs running around him and is blankly staring at Sean the Sheep. Not behaviours i would be happy with all day every dy !

However, he is tired, has been to soft play, had lunch out then visited the library. And in between program's he has just pointed to the picture we made and said, "look mummy, that is fabulous isn't it?". So I am happy with my choices (NB my son is three).

There is a huge body of evidence highlighting the factors that can be detrimental to development with too much TV however your best evidence is your child and your own philosophy about parenting and own viewing patterns.

My son would happily watch TV all day without doing much else unless I intervene, and that is only a very limited range of program's too. SO I intervene and manage his viewing.

I have a friend whose TV is on all day and her child hardly pays any attention, then her TV is turned on to adult channels including occasionally inappropriate news, explicit music vid etc.

I wouldn't criticise her, it's her choice. As a teacher I think that some research evidence on this topic is biased or too general. this is much like saying all computer games are bad when some evidence suggests problem solving skills, reaction times and concentration is aided by certain games.

Yeah i would limit the time your little one gets with the t.v that stuff will rot your brain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->