Little Zoe has arrived: My C-section birth story

ange7894

Reaction score
I had an elective c-section scheduled for Friday March 5th, and by mid week that week I was beyond ready to have her. I was exhausted from getting very little sleep (due to serious discomfort), and was just as uncomfortable when awake. I'm usually a very impatient person, so something of this nature definitely made my impatience worse.

I started my maternity leave the day before the surgery because I knew I wouldn't be able to focus. It was a good thing too because that morning began what I thought might possibly be labor. I started getting serious sharp pains in my mid to lower back that would last 10 min. or so, then go away for a little while, then come back. I also had been feeling a bit crampy, so I called the doctor for guidance, and he told me to hang tight. If my water hadn't broken and the pain wasn't getting worse, it was ok to wait it out.

I expected to be a nervous wreck that day but because of the continuous pain, I was emotionally numb. I just needed her out of me so my body could feel better. I was desperate to sleep that night, but because of the pains, I didn't get much. We had to be at the hospital at 5:30am, and I was so thankful. Once we got in the car, that's when my nerves hit.

When we got to the hospital, they hooked me up to some monitors; one to measure her heart beat and one to measure my "contractions". I actually was having them, but they were more uncomfortable than painful. The funny thing was once I realized those were contractions I discovered I'd been feeling those for weeks. I just assumed the pressure and tightening were the baby moving. Everything was great with her heart rate, and that was a relief.

2 hours later, I was ready for the OR. They did the spinal, which wasn't that bad at all. I was now shaking like a leaf because reality was finally setting in. I was going to meet my little girl in just a short while. The spinal hurt for a few seconds and then as it kicked in, it was the strangest feeling. It started in my feet, and they felt the warmest they'd ever felt in my life but numb at the same time. It moved upward and before I knew it, the nurse was inserting the catheter. I didn't feel that at all, which was a relief. Hubby came in soon after as they finished prepping me and they began.

I was told I wouldn't feel any pain, but I would feel various other sensations. They weren't kidding. I felt tugging and pulling, and pressure, so quite a bit of it was uncomfortable. I continued to shake, but I didn't care. When they pulled her out, I felt this rush of relief as the weight of her finally left me. Then I heard her cry and I burst into tears. it was the most beautiful sound I'd ever heard. They lowered the drape so I could see her and it was quite surreal.

Hubby left my side to be with her while they cleaned her up, and they finished “putting me back together”. The strange and uncomfortable sensations continued, and it was only during this phase of surgery that I started to feel a little off. I got nauseous at one point, and had a little difficulty breathing. My anesthesiologist assured me it was all normal and quickly gave me something for relief. Within a few minutes, hubby was back and he was holding her; all bundled up. She was wide awake and very calm. He rested her on my chest near my face and I was finally able to meet this little person I’d waited so long to see. It was the best moment in my life. Both hubby and baby followed me as I was wheeled into my room for recovery and I got to hold her soon after.

My recovery in the hospital went very well; better than I’d ever expected. I tried to stay on top of my pain by taking my pain medication in a timely manner. I still felt some mild discomfort, especially if I moved a certain way in bed, but overall I hadn’t felt this good in months. I was beyond exhausted, but I would have taken that any day over the pain and discomfort I’d been feeling for most of my pregnancy. It definitely was frustrating not being able to care for my new daughter the way I wanted to, but the nurses and my husband were incredible.

It’s now one week post surgery and my recovery has gotten a little more difficult. Obviously, since I’m home now and not in a place with 24 hour nurse care, it’s a little more challenging. My husband has been a life saver this week and has insisted on doing most things but I’ve been moving around a lot more than I did in the hospital, and caring for my baby as best I can. I know it’s this extra exertion that’s causing me a little more pain and weakness. I’ve had moments where the pain in my incision has been more severe than right after surgery, but I’ve always gone by the statement “it has to hurt in order to heal”.

I have no regrets for my decision to have the c-section and am in good spirits during my recovery. Considering the magnitude of giving birth this way, I couldn’t have asked for a better way to bring her into this world.

Congratulations. now where's the pictures of your new addition?!!! lol

Many many congratulations and well done you! xx :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"