LO eating more and I'm not producing enough?

mara16jade

Mommy of 2 little boys
Reaction score
Up until about 3 days ago I was having some oversupply issues. Now, all of the sudden he acts like he's starving and my breasts are totally drained trying to keep up with him.

I'm trying to pump after he eats and falls asleep to increase my supply, but he wakes up an hour or two later screaming for food and I don't have enough. :( We've given him formula twice and he settles quickly after feeding. I pump when we give him formula so my breasts don't "miss" a feeding and I'm lucky to get an ounce total.

Is this some sort of growth spurt? Or am I just suddenly losing my supply?
He has about 8-10 wet diapers, and probably 3-4 dirty diapers a day.

:cry::cry: I'm so beyond stressed out.

Six week growth spurt. Totally normal, hang in there. Try to avoid the formula if you can, even with pumping during the skipped feeds it's not as effective in telling your body to make more milk, so it's kind of a vicious circle.

Thank you!!

He just seemed so hungry and I panicked. :dohh:

Any idea how long the 6 week growth spurt lasts?

Growth spurts are killer - for the 3 week one my LO fed every 45 minutes for 48 hours straight. Zombie didn't even come close to describing me. But I'd forgotten all that when the 6 week one hit and hubby had to remind me! At 6 weeks she fed every 90 minutes and I can't remember how long it lasted. Hang in there.

Dare I ask... When is the next growth spurt?!! 3 week one was fine but I nearly gave up breastfeeding during the most recent one ...but glad to say we survived!

Been doing some reading online, and it looks like there are growth spurts at 3 and 6 weeks, and then at 3 and 6 months.

BF'ing through this growth spurt has been ROUGH! He's been sooo hungry.

Just a heads up, they can also do similar but not quite as extreme behaviour during wonder weeks - these are developmental spurts. My LO always fed a lot more in this periods, half for comfort/reassurance and half for brain food I guess!

Just think at least you weren't having to make up, wash up and sterilise bottles constantly!

Read somewhere recently that the 6 week growth spurt is more like weeks 4 to 6... makes sense if you ask me! DS has been a nightmare to feed for a few weeks.

I didn't even need to look at how old your LO was, I just knew it was 6 weeks! That was the roughest growth spurt for me as she was soooooo frustrated when the milk didn't flow as quickly she couldn't stay latched for screaming.

I'd say, if you have no latch issues, you should ditch the pumping and the formula. Let his frequent feeding be the signal to your breasts about how much to make. It usually lasts 3-5 days but introducing formula can extend this time as your supply doesn't catch up with demand so quickly.

You're doing brilliantly.

No latch issues...just one very hungry baby who acts like he's starving! :dohh:

My sons 6 week growth spurt lasted a week... IT.WAS.HELL!! But we got through it and now breastfeeding is a million times easier! Avoid giving formula because baby is trying to increase your supply. Just nurse nurse nurse. As long as babe has enough wet diapers a day you have no need to worry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->