Looking for a good soup recipe?

kaylynn040485

Mummy to two girls
Reaction score
As the title says, looking for a good vegtable soup recipe with some sort of stock in it like ham, tried a few from online but they havent tased great so if anyone has a good recipe for a good winter warmer soup would be greatly appreciated Kx

Hi Kaylynn, nothing quite like a steaming hot bowl of soup on a winter's day mmm yum.

Over here we can put veg soup packs that have veg ready cut for soup. From memory it has chopped leek, onion, carrots, celery and parsley. But I guess it would be easy enough to chop them up yourself. (I'm lazy and get the pack). We can also buy a soup pack of dried soup mix which is stuff like pearl barley, lentils and peas mixed.

There are loads of ways to make it. You can either simmer the dried soup mix with a couple of stock cubes for twenty minutes. Or simmer the dried mix with a couple of chicken thighs or a beef shin again for twenty mins. Lift the meat out and strip the meat from the bone skim any scummy froth from the top. Put the meat back in put veg in and simmer for about another 20 - 30 mins till veg is soft. You can leave it like this or blend it. Hope it makes sense, I don't weight stuff sorry. I just kind off chuck bits in! x

Another soup that I love is tomato, bacon and lentil, it's really quick and easy.

Fry an onion along with about 3 -4 rashers smokey bacon in bottom of pot (depends how strong a bacon flavour you want, more can be added). Add water and about half a pack of orange lentils. If I have any carrots I dice one and chuck it in. Again add a couple of stock cubes and a tin of tomatos, I use any stock except beef. Simmer for about 20 mins until lentils are soft. Blend till really smooth. This one looks fairly yuck when cooking but once blended is mmm. If it's too thick at end of cooking add more water, if too thin just simmer off some of the liquid.

Hope this helps. x

I do a traditional potato and leek soup.
LOVELY simple Recipe handed down from MIL's Mother!

6 Potatoes, 4 Leeks, 2 Onions, pint of Veg stock or tastier with meat stock,
Generous knob of butter! (125g)
salt & pepper to taste.

All in a pan.. boil it all up for an hour.. mulsh down and serve with grated cheese on the top! DEELISSSSSSSSHHHHHHH!!

Lentil and Bacon Soup is absolutely yummy, very filling and a complete meal really.

Ham stock (from boiling a ham or using ham stock cubes)
Pack of red split lentils
Half a pack of 'soup mix' (where the lentils etc are in the supermarket)
pack of cooking bacon, chopped up
5 or 6 carrots, pealed and grated
1 or 2 onions diced
2 or 3 peeled and diced potatoes (optional)

Stick it all in a huge pan, ensuring there is plenty of stock to fill the pan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until the 'soup mix' is cooked.

Lentil and Bacon Soup is absolutely yummy, very filling and a complete meal really.

Ham stock (from boiling a ham or using ham stock cubes)
Pack of red split lentils
Half a pack of 'soup mix' (where the lentils etc are in the supermarket)
pack of cooking bacon, chopped up
5 or 6 carrots, pealed and grated
1 or 2 onions diced
2 or 3 peeled and diced potatoes (optional)

Stick it all in a huge pan, ensuring there is plenty of stock to fill the pan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until the 'soup mix' is cooked.

Oh iv really wanted to try this for ages.Im going to make some this week :) Thanks :) Oh how many does that serve and can I freeze it?xxx

Another recipe is a clear stock soup : Egg Flower....it's chinese and despite being a clear stock soup, it's warming and filling and everyone who's tried mine says it tastes great.

2 oxo cubes/stock cubes....I use a veggie one and a chicken one.
1 level tablespoon of Chinese 5 spice....great pre-made mix.
1 1/2 table spoon of mixed dried or fresh herbs.
Soy sauce to taste.
Chilli flakes to taste depending on how hot they are.
Pepper to taste....I never add salt as the soy sauce is quite salty.
A teaspoon of ketchup.
2 eggs.

Crumble in all the 'powders' into a pan....this is the stock cubes, herbs, pepper and all dry goods. You can add other herbs and things that you think will taste good too.
Add enough water for it to go a deep brown, I usually make a medium size pan or more.
Add soy sauce and ketchup to taste. It'll be a thin soup.
Boil until it smells really nice.
Crack two eggs into cup and stir until yolk and the white are fully mixed.
Take soup off boil and stir until the stock is spinning.....add tiny bits of egg, it will cook in the stock. Stir before serving and enjoy :)

It's more simple than I've explain here

I promise this is delicious and well worth making, even Joseph loves it.

Roast Red Pepper and Tomato Soup

6 Red Peppers, halved, cored and deseeded
2 Red Chillies, halved, cored and deseeded (optional - makes soup very hot)
1 Bulb Garlic, halved but not peeled
6 Tomatoes, halved
1 tbsp olive oil
450ml (3/4 pint) vegetable stock
4 tbsp savoury seed mix for topping (optional)
4 tsp pesto for topping (optional)
Croutons for topping (optional)

Preheat oven to gasmark 6 / 200 degrees c / fan 180 degrees c

Place peppers, chillies and garlic in a large tin and roast for 15 minutes

Add tomato halves and roast for a further 10-15 minutes until peppers have charred on the outside. Remove from oven and allow to cool until you can handle them.

Skin peppers and place flesh in a liquidiser. Skin and deseed tomatoes. Place seeds in a sieve and collect juice. Add this to the liquidiser plus the flesh of the tomatoes and chillies.

Squeeze the flesh out of the garlic cloves into the liquidiser with the oil and vegetable stock and liquidise until smooth. Reheat to serve and top with seed mix, pesto and croutons as desired.

Takes 35 minutes (according to book, took me longer because of the skinning and deseeding tomatoes, which can be a pig to do). Will freeze for up to 1 month, can be frozen in concentrated form by stopping the process before you add the stock to save space in the freezer. Recipe claims this serves 8 people but it means 8 teeny-tiny leprichauns, it really serves four or five people if served in an average sized coffee mug/bowl. It's all worth it though, I leave the chillies and croutons out but the rest is absolutely delicious.

I forgot, the last time I made it I added to roasted red onions to the recipe, out them in at the same time as the peppers and chilli, and that was a delicious addition too.

It's quite a thick soup so perfect for winter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->