Looking for insight!

Ashley1021

Pregnant with my first!
Reaction score
I breastfed for about 2 1/2 weeks and for personal reasons and lower supply I've began supplementing with formula. I breast feed him at night and he gets formula during the day. I had to switch his formula from enfamil to similac because I can get similac through wic. He started that two days ago and his poor tummy! He is having a hard time pooping. His face turns red and he screams like no other. He is also super fussy. He is pooping about two times a day though. Not nearly as much as when i was ebf. How long should I give his tummy to adjust? Is there anything I can do to help? I've tried gas drops and gripe water.

How did you switch over? If you just went from one brand to another without slowly transitioning over that could be the problem. Otherwise some babies just don't do well on certain brands. DD had that problem with Gerber Good Start, so I tried Walmart's Parent's Choice based on what several ladies recommended on here, and she did fantastic with no more issues. I did 75/25 (old/new formula) for a few days, then slowly increased the amount of the new one until she was fully on the new brand.

Would WIC be willing to do something else if Similac isn't working? Might also call his pediatrician and see if there is anything they recommend too. :hugs:

I just switched over. I didn't ease into it- I guess that would've made sense! I feel terrible now. :( his poor little tummy and it's my fault! I hope he starts feeling better. I'll give him a while to try and adjust since it's been two days.. I hope he starts feeling a little better

Up till about 3 months old babies can have trouble pooing because they don't know how to coordinate all of the muscles they need to use to get the poo out so often they are holding it in instead this makes then strain and look like they are in pain.

FF babies can have a bit more trouble because formula is more difficult to digest. Normal amounts for a FF is at least 1 poo a week.

You can help by doing tummy massage, warm baths making sure tummy is covered and bicycling babies legs to help bring the poo down.

My baby is on similac and I remember at 2-4 weeks she had a hard time pooping. Some days she would poop once and it would be hard. And when it stopped being hard, she would still only poop once. I think it's just them getting used to everything. At 7 weeks she literally pooed almost every time she farted. At weeks I got my first blow out. Now at 9 weeks she isn't really pooping again, just once a day. Im going to talk to the doctor on Wednesday at her 2 month appointment but it seems normal

I can definitely tell he's getting use to it and learning how to poop. He's had two dirty diapers today and he isn't nearly as fussy! He will be a month old tomorrow :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->