LOs that started reception at just 4 in sept 12

LeannieB

Toby and Sam xx
Reaction score
Hi did anyone elses LO start school at turning just 4 in sept 12? (Toby was 4 on the 27th august 2012) how are your LO's finding it?
Toby still gets quite upset most mornings but he has been a lot better the last few weeks. At his first parents evening his teacher said that he is doing well and by no means behind due to him being the youngest but obviously he is not at the level of the older ones.
Thanks for reading x x:thumbup:

my sons birthday is the end of may and he is one of the youngest in his class as most of them had sept-jan birthdays :S
He goes in fine and gets on with it but tbh he would rather be at home.
He is not behind but i wouldnt say he was in front either but the teacher doesnt seem to have any concerns with him. At home he just wants to play , he has no interest in doing any learning once he leaves the school gates.

It is hard for me because I have an older Son who is one of the eldest in his class so has always been a bit more in front , and its hard not to compare ,though i have noticed his friends who are youngest in the class have all seemed to catch up now (he is in year 2 ) so i think they all level out eventually.

My son has an end of July birthday. He did struggle to start with, and didn't really want to be at school. He had a hard time concentrating and wasn't interested in learning what they wanted him to learn. However he's much more eager to learn now and since mid last term has been doing much better in assessments, like top couple of children.

My son is 4 and started in september he loves it. he has 2 best friends and has learnt a few good skills already such as zipping his own coat and changing for p.e. He needs more focus though and concentration x

My LO's birthday is the last day of August. He's only 2.5 at the moment, but he'll be starting big school a couple of days after turning 4.
I am absolutely dreading it.
He's been going to nursery since he was 10 months old though. Im hoping that that Will help xx

Lewis was 4 in August and seems to be getting on ok. We haven't had a proper parents evening yet and he never really tells me anything about his day, but I'm blown away by his reading ability, as he couldn't read at all when he started! He does say he misses me a lot when hes at school and gets excited on the weekend when he can stay at home with us, which is nice. Also he gets very tired, he doesn't think so but he's always asleep 10 mins after going to bed. X

Hi my youngest Sam is 2.5 as well and he will also be starting school when he is just 4. They still seem so little at that age. Although Sam is a lot more independent than Toby ever was x

Hi that's great that your LO is doing well! I think Toby likes it once he is there but he is the same and doesn't really tell me about his day! What level of reading is your LO at? When we went to Toby's school for the first time they said that reception would be mostly structured play etc. Thanks x x

I'm not sure about levels, they just send books home for us to read together. Sentences like, "jan and dan the fox twins had a picnic" (school book) "go on dad said kipper, you can do it" (books at home stage 1). He can say most words by sight and his numbers, one more than and one less than, are coming along too. Its amazing how quickly their little brains pick all this up, if it's all through structured play then his teachers are brilliant. X

My son is a year older so started sept 11 but I thought I'd answer as he's still one of the youngest in his class.

Generally he did well. He enjoyed going to school and seemed to pick things up well.
He started on level 0 for his reading (books with no words) and by the time he finished reception he had gone through 0, 1 and 2 and was on 3. However they have changed the levels to colours and he's now in yellow and has been since he started year 1.
I would say that he's not really behind the other children but he definitely isn't in the top percentage.

He struggled in a big way with tiredness through the whole of reception. He would flag about a week before each half term. Since being in year 1 he lasts longer and he gets through the half term ok but by 3 weeks before Christmas/Easter etc he is struggling.

His attention isn't great but I'm not sure if that's because he's finding his work too easy or hard.

He still rarely tells me what he's done at school at the end of the day-I have to ask just the right questions to find out.

My son is mid august. He took a while to settle in but was fine during infants. However, now he is in year 4 the immaturity is apparent.

My son is also a bit older than you guys but he is an August 22nd birthday. I wanted to defer him for a year as I felt he wasn't ready for school, but I was told if I did that he would basically just miss reception and go straight in to class one, so of no benefit really.
He has struggled constantly, he didn't go in full time until after October half term. It seems crazy that he only just turned four yet some of them were turning 5 a couple of days in to the year, it seems like such a gap. He is constantly being assessed as basically a year above what he is so is always labelled as behind or underachieving. We support as best we can but I still thi he would have benefitted waiting a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->